Highway 1 vs. American Deluxe Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Import, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Import

Import Guest

Jul 17, 2005
    i cant decide which one would be right for me, what is the difference anyway, they are both american made, but the deluxe costs more,, whats going on???
  2. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well, I beileve, that the Highway 1 is made in america, But uses mexican parts. It has a top load bridge, and the deluxe has a spring through. The Deluxe is also made from better woods I would guess, the pick ups are definitly better than the highway 1. Highway 1 is passive, the deluxe is active. The tuners on the Deluxe are better than the highway one.

Bassicly the deluxe is a souped up version of the highway 1.

I dont know what one would be right for you since I know nothing about you at all. Like what kind of music you play. The second thing is, There 2 completely different instruments, The deluxe is active so it'll have alot more sounds you can get from it, but you also have to replace a battery every once in a while.

Personally if it were me, I would go for the highway 1, and take out the pickups and put a seymore duncan in, becuase its what im looking for. (sound wise)
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

There's also the American standard. Better made than the Highway1, but also passive. The Deluxe is equal in quality to the American standard but is active. Some other differences (Deluxe): 3bandEQ, 2 extra frets, lighter body, optional stringthrough bridge, lighter tuning machines, graphite reinforced neck, smaller body.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I played an American standard a couple of weeks ago - a very nicely made bass and the S-1 switch (P-bass emulation) sounded great. If I was looking to add a Fender to my stable, this one would now be right at the top of the list! Mind you, I haven't played either the Deluxe or Highway 1 editions so YMWDV!

5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hwy 1 is an entry level MIA bass, It is the cheapest MIA bass you can get. It is made and assembled in USA while the standard bass (MIM) is made in USA but assembled and painted in Mexico using cheaper but adaquate parts. MIA dlx basses are top of the line basses and use some items not available on Standard (series) MIA basses like Stb or top load bridges, abalone inlays, 22 fret necks with light tuners, Samarium pups and bodies made from premium cuts of wood on ash basses.