Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Highway One Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stompboxx, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I just picked up a Highway One P-Bass. I love it. Just wondering what you all think of them.

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    They are decent bass,congrats and enjoy your toy

3. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    I bought the Jazz last year and I found a bass I will propably keep for life
    nice!

I actually changed the bridge to a badass II and replaced the noisy pickups.

4. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
  5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    great bass,poor paint job,stripped mine down to wood and oiled it and called it a day,necks are'nt to great,as they age they tend to get humps or high spots in the upper register,as a bass luthier I fix MANY of them
    adam :crying:

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have one, no problems yet. I like the sound, it plays just fine,
    in fact I like it the best for practicing, the string spacing suits me.
    Too bad others have had problems, maybe I'm just lucky.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a Highway 1 J (honey blonde).
    The differences in specs and accessories are known, but tonewise I must say it actually sounded like a GREAT Jazz Bass.
    The neck was not a steady as the graphite reinforced neck of an MIA, but nothing really wrong though (easy to fix, and happened only once).
    Overall, and as Fender QC does not seem to be consistent, I found it was an EXC+ Highway 1 J.
    The only reason why I sold it is that I couldn't switch to a 5er without selling the 4er...

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Jay

8. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

I just got my Highway One a few weeks ago. I love it.
    Put a pearloid guard on it.

9. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    My local bass guy (shop owner, repair tech, luthier, and heck of nice guy) says that the Highway 1 finishes can be buffed as well, so that you have your high gloss, semi-transparent finish.
    Personally, I like the looks of the satin sheen, but has anyone tried the buffing method? I'm seriously considering the Highway 1 P

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

There's my H1 P-Bass. All my mods are cosmetic, with the tort pickguard (that looks black), the bridge cover, and the thumbrest.

I had swapped the pickup out for a DiMarzio, and found I liked the stock pickup better. So it's back in there. I love this bass! Great buy for the price - best neck out of any of the basses I own, great tone, very light and easy on the back.

11. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    as they age ...
    how long are they available that you know about that? and what would you call "aged"? I'm actually not sure about how long they are on the market, but mine's about 10 months now. I would not call that "aged" but I dont have any neck problems at all.

12. Nice bass Super duck, yours looks like mine. I did the same with the pick guard and the bridge cover. The pick guard is a 62 tort with the thumb rest under the G string. A little cosmetics goes a long way. Have you tried some flats on her?
    I put them on and wow, very nice tone. I used the coated Labella's.

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I had a Highway 1 jazz and sold it. I still kick myself in the butt once a day to remind myself that I must get it back.
    Very reliable bass and also underrated imho. Only drawback was the fragile finish but what the hell.....I aint playing baseball with. A good bass for the money.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I've got some flats on it now, I think they're GHS's. They were given to me by my guitarist who had them lying around his house. I dig flats, but these aren't the ones for me. I might spring for some TI's when I get a chance, otherwise I'm going back to nickels.

15. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Just pulled the trigger on this... now the hard part comes.. the wait....

[​IMG]

16. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I can't speak for the basses, but my brother has a Highway 1 Strat, and I think it sounds great. Congratulations and enjoy!

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Got a Hwy. 1 Jazz about a year ago and I love it! It's my main gigging bass. Low action, great tone, and plays like butter. :)

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That looks great! Nice job. :)

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I wish the Highway 1 basses came with maple fretboards. I know it's mostly just a superficial thing, but I love me some maple fretboards on Fenders.