1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Highway one neck relicing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobiless, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Is it possible to relic jb highway one neck without reranch and other stuff? I'm in lithuania so i wont find lacquer for that. I'd like to have 70s jb neck but these things are expensive! Tinted headstock (more yellowish ? ) with a 70s jb decal would look sexy as hell :smug:

I've heard something about shoe polish, it does something or not?

Btw its satin poly on highway one

And one more - if i try kiwi, what about decal? If i do everything on top of it ant later remove it, that wont be a problem? Or i will need to do everything again?

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    if you leave the neck in direct sunlight it will darken and yellow

3. for how long i should leave it?

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Uhhh, ...until it goes dark and yellow...

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    it's a natural process, leave your bass out and you will see that the white fresh cut color will yellow, just don't put it on a guitar stand with rubber pads, because the rubber will react badly with the nitro body lacquer, mine took 3 or 4 months one summer if i remember correctly

6. yeah, it's not africa in lithuania, so sunlight is not a choice. Kiwi..?

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    regular sunlight will work, you don't need to be close to the equator

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Get a grow lamp (lamp for growing indoor plants)
    They produce quite a bit of UV rays...........So I hear. :D

No idea if it'll work but it's sounds like a logical alternative to outdoors. I think it'd be much safer for the stability of the neck wood and reduce the risks of temperature fluctuations leading to warping.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my house has windows

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You could try amber tint from a hardware store maybe? I dunno, but if reranch isn't an option, it might be worth a shot.

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Leaving my telecaster under a window for a year ( still use it regularly, it just rests under a window when i'm not using it) has darkened/yellowed the poly finished neck nicely! And I live in Oregon (almost constant rain 10 months of the year).

That neck was pale as a piece of white paper when I got it....

Oh and my bass that has a lacquer finish body has darkened pretty substantially by just hanging on the wall across from a window (+ regular use of course).