1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

highway one or roadworn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Jul 29, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    they are both pretty cheap, H1 made in USA, RW made in Mexico, both have the same finish (which I love, nitro I think it is...),
    so I've tried em both and like them both, but in your experience which is the best bang-for the buck and will "last the longest"? I find them both kinda ugly, so this is mostly to know which is better built I guess...
    anyone has owned both for a certain amount of time enough to judge?
    thanks!

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I'd get the highway one, because I only want road wear I create myself. I also don't buy distressed jeans with holes in them for the same reason.

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not a fan of the relic myself...but the neck on the RW was pretty amazing! I'm not taking any of these 2 basses for the look...

4. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    RW, awesome basses.......point blank plain and simple cut and dry! (ignore all relic hate, let the bass speak for itself) it wont dissapoint!

5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Another vote for the RW.

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    interesting...

7. RW here too. My RW-P is hands down the best P bass I've played-ever, I'd rather play it than any MIA I've played.

8. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ok.
    just to make it clear, I'm trying to figure out the one that's better built; so the fact that the H1 is american made does NOT make it better than the Rw in this case?

9. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Play them side by side if possible and then decide. The RWs I've played have often been lighter pieces of wood (which I tend to favor when playing three-hour shows) and were more lively than the Highway 1s. They will also have more "vintage" appointments -- small fretwire and 7.25 inch fingerboard radius -- while the Highway 1 is more modern, with larger fretwire and a flatter 9.5 inch radius. That probably accounts for most of the difference in feel.

As for which is built better: To be honest, anything with the Fender badge will probably live longer than you'll be playing it. I've bought several cheap MIM Fenders from the early to mid 90s that were beat to absolute hell and used them as backup basses for rough shows. They never failed and I never found them less reliable that my American Standard basses.

I absolutely am not into the relic look, but the few Roadworns I played were so nice playing and sounding for the asking price that I would have changed my mind.

10. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    cool.
    thanks for the advice, all!

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    If you think the H1 is ugly because of the satin finish, it can be buffed to a gloss.

12. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    i don't know what it is...I think it's just so "ordinary" looking

13. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    I have a 2012 MIM P. Arctic white, maple fretboard, black pickguard. Favorite look, perfect sound, and it seems like it can take a beating. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, and I've hit it on several things, in which the bass itself leaves marks on those unfortunate places. It really cuts through too, and I don't have that powerful of an amp, and my band plays pretty loud.

14. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Don't forget the Highway One has graphite rods which may protect the neck down the road. Also, its a much easier neck to tweak if necessary right on the gig! I like that. Finally, I prefer the fret wire as it will outlast the roadworn's vintage wire.

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Definitely the RW , not because I can tell you one way or the other but because I'm desperately gas-n for one and this way if you get it I'll at least get to drool over more pics. :)

It's also good that I convince as many people into them as possible so when I'm ready to buy there will be plenty out there to pick up used.

16. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Is there a model that has similar specs/components to the RD, without the phony wear? I'm not opposed to relicing so much, it's just that I can do it myself and not have one that has "assembly line" mojo.

17. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    It's the white pickguard and unfinished headstock. Makes it look "cheap" IMO.

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    You like them both but find them ugly.......

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    You like the way they play but find them ugly.....buy something else.

20. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I own both (P basses). I got the Hwy 1 first (sunburst w/ rosewood fingerboard)... loved it, but after hearing all of the good things about the RWs, I decided to get one (the 'relic" look doesn't bother me... I actually like it, though I do find it humorous that the "wear" is almost identical on all of them).

I got a 50's fiesta red P-bass and it quickly became my main bass. The 1 3/4" width at the nut felt a little strange at first (that surprised me), but I quickly got used to it. The build quality, playability & sound of this bass is amazing. I usually swap basses on a daily basis, but I have used the RW solely since I got it.

The bass is fairly light & very resonant. Beyond the "mass-produced relicing", the finish is very thin; I played a four hour gig wearing some of my bass string bracelets & afterwards I noticed that they had sctrached/gouged the body (didn't go through the finish... yet). The cool part was... I didn't care. In fact, I liked it. I have taken it upon myself to beat the crap out of this bass... I'm doing my best to add my own "relicing" to it so it doesn't look the same as every other one.

Fender has done an excellent job making the neck feel broken in as well. I am also very happy with the sound of the bass. I have not changed one thing on this bass... again, very rare for me. I usually have to at least swap the pickup or put on a Badass II.

The Hwy 1 is still a great bass, but I prefer the Road Worn...

Moonshine :bassist: