1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Highway One P a good step up from MIM P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe164, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Hey all. I asked a similar question about the Mike Dirnt Precision and it got some bad comments mainly regarding the neck.

I play a MIM P with Quarter pounders, and dont completely get the tone i want. I want a bright pickstyle SVT tone, green-day or blink 182 esque. I hear this bass is quite bright because of the Badass bridge.

So soundwise is it a step up from a MIM? (Pick players could help the most)

And also apparently these are very well made basses. Same question - better than MIM?

Thanks guys.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    SVT tone only comes from an SVT amp (or something to fake that).

I would focus more on which bass feels better to play. For my part, I don't own an MIM fender, but that's just me - many folks like them.

3. Since you've replaced the pickups, I'd try changing the strings. That can make as much or more difference in tone than anything else. The Highway One's are nice basses and quality-wise a step up from the MIM.

4. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    I put prosteels on it. They have brightened it a good deal, but in the end the amp wins over, and mines a peavey 60 watt. Im getting a line 6 lowdown 300 which has a rock setting specifically based on an SVT, and the recordings of it sound great.

So the highway one is good? Why so much cheaper than american standard, though?

5. The amp can really make the difference. See what you think when you try it out.

The Highway one is a decent bass. It's got different hardware/pickups/thinner nitro finish than the American Standard. Plus it only comes with the rosewood neck option. Personally though, the American Standards have made a huge leap in quality in the past year. I would recommend one of those if you can afford it. If not though, the Highway One is a decent alternative.

6. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Yeah, the highway one sounds real good. The only thing is its going from a P to a P if you get what i mean.

Fraid i dont have enough money for a MIA Standard. One day, eh? :smug:

I just hope i dont make the mistake i did with the MIM, a month after i buy it in midnight wine they bring it out in candy apple red!

I might go for black this time round, i dig that matt finish.

7. You might want to test drive a '50s Classic P. They are MIM but for sure a few steps up from the MIM Standard P.
    Course, their price has gone up too. I got mine for a steal on eBay.
    It's an '06 model.

I have an '01 MIM Standard P, played it quite a bit until I got my '50s P.
    I do love the thinner neck on the Standard P.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm still haunted by this incredible, bright pick sound from a bass I heard years ago.

The bass was a Precision. The strings were D'Addario XL "Reds," which had a copper winding. (These aren't around anymore, so the ProSteels would have to do.) The amp was a GK, which had a good bit to do with the bright, aggressive tone. But, the pickup was an EMG-P, and I believe that it was at the heart of that tone. Not for me, necessarily, as I'm not a pick player, but what a great tone!

I may have a minority opinion, but I think if you're upgrading from a P bass to a P bass for tone reasons, you're likely to be disappointed. Maybe the tone in your head can be better recreated by a different kind of bass.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I honestly think you'll be far better off trying to get that type of tone with an upgraded amp, instead of getting a new bass.

You already have a decent P bass. You're already a good way there.

NOW go get yourself a good amp that can do the SVT thing.

I'd personaly skip over the line 6 for something a bit better. Nothing does SVT like a real SVT.

10. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Your probly right, i should get an SVT but i dont really wanna go from a combo to a stack or something at 16 years old, and blow all my money on it.

I do want a new bass though, sure i'll keep my MIM, but i've got the want a new guitar/bass bug to be honest. :bag:

Question - does the Highway one have the same pickups as a stock MIM? That really would suck.

11. I would think not.
    The Highway One P, the '50s Classic P and the Road Worn P will have better pups then the MIM Standard.
    I'm not 100% sure about the Highway One though.

12. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    What's wrong with the MIM pups ? The handful I've played copped a good if not great p sound.

And if you look for used amps, you'll quickly find that a suitable rig is far cheaper than any new bass and will have a great impact on your tone. I paid a bit over 400$ for my rig and it is louder and better sounding than any combo I've ever seen.

May I suggest GK ? It doesn't sound like an SVT, but in my experience, with the high boost on and played with a pick, all my p-basses really sang and had a lot of snap, if not too much of it (think Duff from GnR). The boost setting also adds a lot of warmth to the tone.

13. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Theres nothing wrong with the MIM pickups, but i hoped the Highway one would be closer to the MIA.

14. I just picked up and '06 Highway One and love it... it has more mid and more punch then my '08 American Standard.
    But to the sound you want I would agree with some of the other posts... if you want and SVT sound... get an SVT.... or.... I love my SansAmp BDDI! I play thru a GK and gets me a much warmer sound when I need it.

Good Luck!

15. Yep, I played my '01 Standard P at quite a few gigs. Never felt the need to change the pups.
    But, like I always say .... I'm easy.

16. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Check out the Fender Mark Hoppus bass?

17. IIRC, the Highway One basses come with American Standard pickups.

Anywho, I do think that the HO would be a good upgrade. I mean, from the factory, it comes with a Nitro finish, BAII bridge, Greasebucket circuit, and graphite support rods. There isn't a whole lot, if anything that would need to be done to this bass to make it any better.

I think they're American made basses, too.

18. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    The hoppus bass body sucked when i owned one i shined it in the light and you could see 4 pieces of wood it was made out of the finish was horrid it looked cool tho haha

anyways i dont dig MIM Pickups they sound thin but i play with sp3's so thats probably why

19. going by the fender parts lists, you're right. the 2005 highway one basses have the same part number as the american standards of 2000.

20. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i am under the assumption that the hiway one is american made, but with mexican electronics and tuners.

i picked up an '03 (pre-upgrade) model. it is definately a bright bass. also very light, mine is 8 lbs. i do not have the BAII or the greasebucket. honestly, i did not like the pups. i replaced them with the nordy np4, and replaced the harness as well. now, it sounds really nice. still has strong, grindy mids but with punch and warmth (i use flats). i love the neck. it is very playable and (mine at least) is very straight, i get really low action on it.

i think the tone would be really good for aggresive rock/power pop/punk music.

i don't have a MIM to compare it to. i was playing a friend's '77 p. it has huge tone, but 10.5 lbs and a fat neck!