Highway One <<<time warp>>> Closet Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nellie48, Aug 4, 2009.

1. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just bought a brand new Highway One P bass in transparent wine. I bought it with the idea of turning it into my own "Closet Classic", which I guess means the body will stay the same but the plastic, hardware and neck will have to look aged. To make it more authentic, I also will add a vintage bridge, tort guard, ashtray cover, vintage tuners, and Nordstrand pups. I have all these so far but the tuners. I will be getting rid of the greasebucket but need to decide how to wire it like the vintage '57 / '62, or Standard (modern) wiring.

Now, here is where I need your help. What year should I make this HWY one? If you have a suggestion, perhaps you can tell me what to do and not do to my bass to make it that way. One thing to consider is that the Hwy Ones already have a 70's headstock logo, so perhaps keeping it or removing it will be in order.

I've never done this sort of thing before, but have read a few techniques on how to age on TB, so any advice on how to age would be greatly appreciated. I think this will be a fun project, which should not be too easily messed up. It will also be nice to know that the thin nitro body finish will age naturally over time, unlike the pre-fab cookie cutter Road Worns.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Need Pics!

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    When I bought my 2003 HWY 1 jazz...It already had a vintage bridge on it!

I'd put the nickel vintage style revers Gotoh tuners on it..or the lolly-pop style ones.

4. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Imagine that this bass in lying on carpet and you can see a reflection of me snapping a photo in the glare of the pickguard.:smug:

462561.jpg

5. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Alright, thats what it looked like ^. Now, here is the real thing. I sold the Badass for $90 bucks which funded my new set of Nordstrands. I sold the original fender pickups for $50 which funded a new bridge and tort pickguard. Yeah, no extra money spent yet!

DSC02282-1.jpg

6. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    bump for some responses

7. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    damm you sold a bad ass for 90$! i wish i could have got that for mine.

I would have to do a little relic' of the body like some very slight arm wear and maybe get the finish to check.

8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    I like this idea. Put it in the freezer overnight, then briefly into the oven preheated at 500 degrees.

9. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    The paint wont melt?If so maybe i will get a squier affinity thats on craigs and make a cheap relic

10. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I just can't picture the tort guard looking good on the transparent wine body...you'll need to post a pic when you can and prove me wrong!

11. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll post a pic when I get it on. However, it is a RED tort.

12. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    Have you tried a mint green pg? Or a cream perloid?

13. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good ideas, but this is the look I want. I just cant find this tort guard anywhere. The bass below is a Highway one Jazz but it should be the exact color of mine.
    [​IMG]

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Who the hell spent $90 bucks on a BadAss is what I'm wondering.

EDIT(Mark): GE, you know that's not allowed.

15. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I guess you could leave it out in the sun for a week, then flip it over so the back also gets the treatment. I mean the body only, remove the guard or the sun will warp it. For aging the neck, I've toyed with the idea of some indoors sunbathing, you know, leave the neck near a window but taking advantage of the air conditioning so it wont overheat and warp. Or maybe even some black or fluorescent lights with UV content?

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The highway series basses won't check IME if you were wondering.

17. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Hey! I'm glad you like my bass!

For your information the pick guard is Fender's own '62 style one... there was a P-Bass version with the same red color when I got this one for mine. Under stage lights the transparent wine lightens up quite a bit and the two reds actually compliment each other even better (if I do say so myself).

The finish wears well... after 2 years, it's worn through all on it's own now where I rest my forearm. There are also several dings and bumps where the finish just flaked right off. The wear is beginning to look similar to the "Road Worn" series, but without the 'cookie cutter template' look.

To answer your question about which year, since it's got a rosewood fingerboard, I'd go for the '62 look. I've always thought of mine (without looking at the headstock logo) as a faux '63/'64.

18. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Check ebay. I've been seeing them go lately for over $100. They are not as easy to come by as they once were. I don't care much for them myself, but I can live with the one on my '06 HWOne P-bass.

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats insane. I picked one up for the equivalent of like $30 bucks not even a month and a half ago.:confused:

20. LCW

LCW Inactive

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I got my badass new shipped for like 40$, when i was 16 and thought they were probably cool because they were shiny nad big and had a curse word lol. That was like 2006?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021