1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highway One Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakusx, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    Anyone have pics of their H1's after some good use?

2. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale

3. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    i have one but no "good use" yet, i cant wait till it has that "reliced" kinda vibe

4. emesen

emesen

Jan 3, 2007
    Lake Forest, Ca
    my jazz is almost 2 years and came with what I think was a finish bubble near the bridge pup. I wore to the wood rather quickly. Looks cool like its been played a ton whichit has but nothing major like a well worn relic. Finish might be thin but its pretty durable. My P is still too new. I am sure once the band starts gigging they'll get a little more beat up.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    My findings exactly.
    my Jazz has places where the Red finish has come off but there is still a coated finish showing the wood. looks much older than the three years ive had it and it was very well looked after.
    Only bass i have owned that got in to this sort of condition.
    My new P bass started showing signs that it would be the same but i got rid of it before that happened.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ill get some pics up later for you man. i have 3 tone sunburst jazz

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    underneath the nitro is a very thick Poly clear coat. The nitro will wear but good luck wearing it down to the wood..

Fender marketed it as Nitro finish when its just a nitro top coat over Poly.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    For real? Interesting.

9. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    jups... so the "breathing" deal is a lot of bollocks to... at least to me it is...

10. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Fender has the best marketing team out there plain and simple.. And a lot of people bought into that.

But on a positive note they are great basses. And the P I had, I wish I never sold..

11. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    ow I wouldn't mind having 1....or 2, or 3... but it just isn't what I expected when I first read about them, after that I saw some photo's taken by a guy from holland, he just took some steel wool and rubbed all the nitro of, ending up with a beautiful, but still clear coated bass...

12. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    I played one and love the tone, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

13. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You can get it down to the wood. =) Brett, huge fan of your work by the way.

Mine is a 2003 pre-upgrade. Had it since new and have played the tar out of it and plan to keep doing that until there is no finish left. And these are only the dings and stuff that I could capture with the camera. The Badass II and Duncan pups were done by yours truly. Added the tort guard...62RI guard fits perfectly..you don't have to redrill anything.

HPIM0695.
    HPIM0696.
    HPIM0706.
    HPIM0705.
    HPIM0697.
    HPIM0698.
    HPIM0699.
    HPIM0700.

14. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    you can see the wood, because it a clear coat of poly, you can't wear it down to the actual wood, just by playing it...

15. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    well you can but wearing down poly you better be gigging 12hrs a day 365 days a year that stuff is thick and I can tell you first hand on the highway ones its at least a 1/8" thick. And its durable as all heck..

16. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    so then do even the pre-upgrade HWY 1s have the poly base coat? guess I just assumed that I could see the wood, I was at the wood...:rollno: o well...still love it regardless..

17. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    there all coated in either epoxy or poly. Depends but yes they all have a hard as rocks undercoating.

Its used to build a flat surface for the nitro and to seal and fill imperfections in the woods.

Its a lot more cost effective to shoot it with a thick poly coat then to do it right with 100% lacquer products. Doing it right is labor intensive. Doing it there way cuts out about 9 steps.

Heck you can even see the orange peel in some of the highway ones they didnt even wetsand the lacquer coats. Another cost cutting feature.

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    here are some of my '03 Hwy. 1 jazz that I've had for about 3 or 4 years......it's seen quite a bit of use. was my one and only bass for a while until I found TB, bought it after going on a 3 year bass hiatus and selling off all my gear....

19. zachbass02

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey Junior,

did I read somewhere that you replaced the tuners on your Hwy 1 with hipshot tuners? if so, where did you get them and what size did get?

Z-

20. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Wow, you guys ain't kidding about the finish wear. Those pix make those basses look vintage. I personally like the look (and feel) of a well worn beater.