1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Highway Star Bass solo? Help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by manwiththedogs, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I`ve been asked to play the organ solo in Deep Purple`s Highway Star as a bass part, and honestly, it`s giving me fits. It starts out easy enough, but soon breaks into these 16th note arpeggios. The only solution I`ve come up with that sounds even close is a tapping pattern on the G string. Problem is the stretch is killing my left hand:bawl:
    Anyone here tackled this or even something similar? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated:)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    organs are definitely easier than basses for parts like that. I would load up on distortion and play something close ;)

3. Yeah, I`m just gonna try and get as close as I can and hope it passes...
    :meh:
    Thanks for responding, btw.

4. seequeue

seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    for quick 3 note arpeggios like that, I've found the easiest way to play it is:

------11------
    ---12----12---
    14----------14

instead of playing it on just 2 strings or trying to tap it on one string. It's a very common motif (for me anyways) to go up and down three strings very quickly with 2 fingers this way, so it's always a good technique to practice. The alternative I would do is:

--7-11-7-
    9---------9

but this requires more stretch, and it's harder to play as fast (I usually use 3 fingers to keep it up to a fast tempo). Depending on how close your gig(s) is, I would try to cut out the last note in the arpeggio and just play triplets for ease, but both the above fingerings I mentioned are really good to learn for future circumstances

5. Ok, I`ll try both of these. I`ve got till 12/20 so between tapping and the techniques you guys mentioned I should be able to get something going.
    Thanks for the advice:)