Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HILARIOUS article in Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sargebaker, Feb 19, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was waiting for a friend at the metro station the other day and went to the magazine stand to read bass player and bass guitar. Bass guitar has a 100 tips from the pros on how to get better. So I'm flipping through reading some of them and theres some helpful stuff like "learn stuff by ear" and some exercises from Oteil, Jason, tips form Matt GArrison etc. etc. Then I get to one form some chump by the deftones and went something like "they told me to play a 5 string and i was like NO WAY F*CK 5 STRING" but then I played one and bla bla. I didn't mind it. Then under it I see "Swear by your 4-string" -Duff McKagen and I quote: "F**K 5 string! somewhere along the long they put on 1 string too many, if it's bass it has to be 4!" and some other BS like that. I couldn't believe it, I actually snickered out loud, I don't know how any "respectful" bass magazine could allow something like that to appear in their issue. What an ignorant POS!

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But I'm sure they find it funny. They aren't the ones spitting on this garbage, a bunch of "meh, OK" bassist did. I think people who hate 5 strings are funny. Especially Mr. Deftones, they downtune really low, which a 5 string could remedy and let him go even lower. :meh:

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually the Deftones' bassist Chi Cheng plays a 5 string Roscoe beck alot. Their guitarist plays it too for some songs.

Besides, these are the tips that the pro's are giving, not Bass Guitar. There are just as many tips from players that play 6 or more strings as there are tips from guys saying not to go more than 4.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    K to call Duff a pro.... Well to post a tip that is supposed to help out the youngin's encourage them and inspire them something that LITERALLY says F**K everything over 4 strings is not bass just really says alot for the credibility of the musician and the magazine.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats what the pro feels so thats what the pro says.

Are you for censcorship?

Its just the expression of an opinioin.

Me?

I love my 5 strings, and Im not a fan of Duff's playing at all. Deftones dont do much for me anymore either.

That doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to express their opinions. Plenty of other pros gave advice to the contrary so its all good.

Opinioins should be recognized as what they are.

6. Like Nick says, they're pros. Whether you think they suck, or that you're better than them, or whatever- people think enough of them to care about their opinions, and people buy the records they make. Once you get over that they're just like you and me and any ordinary Larry that plays the bass guitar- you just assume that their opinion is based on their experience. Whether you think their pro experience is worth listening to is up to you.

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    but there's a way to voice your opinion, and sooner or later the bad@$$ rockstar act needs to take a break. And the comment he posted shouldnt really be in there doesnt really have to do with censorship, i could say i hate ethnic diversities and kittens (which I don't), is it appropriate? would silencing me be censorship? for that matter TB is censorship, if some random joe blow posted "F**K 5+ Strings, somewhere along the line evolution went wrong theres 1 string too many bass has to be 4" would he not get falmed/ have the thread closed? Yes proof being it has happened many times. Personally I think it should have not appaeared in the issue which revolves around becoming a better more capable, open bassist or at least been rephrased.. just IMO. Think about it, TB and many places has its share of "censorship" and when you think about it censorship ain't all that bad, but that's beyond the point I don't want this to turn into a censorship thread...I just think his "tip" was a little inapropriate and its "role models" like that that breed the why play over 4 string trolls who instead of just accepting the diversity and playing what you want feel the need to find somethign wrong with it....

I guess just like Duff is "too old school" for respect, diversity and a few other things.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes it would be which is one reason you still see KKK marches. As much as you and I might disagree with them, they have a right to *talk.* Its also no where near the same since you are talking about hateful speach where as Duff is saying an extra string is not gonna be apropriate for Rock 'n' Roll. No one is hurt by his statements.

Lets drop that since its borderline political.

Its not allowed just as political discussions are not allowed because they cause flame wars which are counter productive to TBs nature and accomplish nothing. Truth be told anyone on this board can and often say that a 5 string is more than they recommend without any problems. We try to keep the board functioning and thats different than censorship.

He never trashed on 5 stringers. He just said F 5 strings. He doesnt want to use them and advises his fans not to use them. I dont think Duff would sound good on a 5 since it doesnt suit his style. Any one who picks up his style probbaly wouldnt sound good on a 5 either.

Its just his opinions that will be taken to heart by his fans.

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    curiosity, did you read the article...tip...whatever you wanna call it?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I skimmed through most of it. The store I work at has a dozen on its racks.

Im pretty sure I caught the offending portions.

I also caught some enlightening portions from other players.

I see balance and thus, I see no problem.

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    i agree he would sound bad on a 5. the part that bothered me was his need to say:
    "F**K 5 strings, bass has to be 4" and IIRC he even said somethign about progression or lack off the topped it off by syaing I'm too old school. it just bugged me.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If Duff dislikes 5-stringers, let him. It's not like some kid is going to be scarred for life if he only plays a 4-string since his favorite bass player says anything more sucks.

Here is something I have learned as a parent about how companies market to young kids......they go for shock value. Having someone like Marcus Miller say "Four strings are very nice, and I prefer to play them" will get them no where. Having some "rock star" cuss and shout about how much "_______ sucks" will attract more attention, and some young kid feeling his way around the world will jump on it as he tries to find his identity. From what I understand having not read this article, nothing was for sale, but they are still going for the shocking comments.

-Mike

13. Mike, that is seriously brilliant, about finding identity. Even going back to when I was a kid and as crappy as a bass player as I was, to this very day I have never experienced being looked down on as a bass player from other musicians.

I guess if you want to create a rallying point for everyone that plays 5 strings and somehow feels persecuted, fine. Maybe I'm just too happy and content doing what I do and allowing the other musicians I play with enjoy that.

14. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Bass Guitar June 21, 2004
    -------------------------------------------------------

"BG: Do you ever play five-string?

McKagan F**no. Somebody F*** up and put one too many strings on there! [laughs] I'm too old-school when it comes to bass; it's got to be four strings. Otherwise,[motown bass legend] James Jamerson would be looking down on me going "What the F** are you doing?" I do tune down , though; a third of our record is in dropped D."

there is more, but i don't fill like typeing the whole thing out.
    I will just leave it at that and let you guys keep kicking that dead horse.

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    The tips in the in this issue are from interviews that Bass Guitar from there first issue until now. It's like there 10 issue. A nother quote for the Duff was "Every good rock band has to groove; you need that something that moves people. I mean, listen to Zeppelin-the groove is so deep you can sleep in it. there are a lot of band out there that have no groove. you can tell they've never listened to Sly, the Funk Brothers or Prince."
    The way Bass Guitar put that in the issue takes what he said out of context. I dont think he thinks that 5- strings suck or that people that play them suck. I think a lot of the tips in the mag was wasted space. And not really tips just regurgitated material. I should post the tips about not using a pick. That should get us all going as well. :)

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I think I recall one from a player suggesting to play all of your notes on one string, and just move up and down the neck a lot.

:rollno:

17. I think a basic rule is not to take such remarks seriously-
    Duff is friends (and in a band the Neurotic Outsiders) with John Taylor who uses a 5 quite often.

18. Unfortunately, the NO folded around 7-8 years ago. They were the rock.

19. :eek:

dude, that's crazy!

Somebody get this guy a chill pill!

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    funny you should mention that.............i never read that, but i recall going to a concert a few years ago and noticing the bass player pretty much just using the e string and occasionally the a string. i covered some of their stuff, so the next day i played the songs like that and got a lot more of the tone and "mojo" of the bass line on the cd that i had been missing just from getting all of the overtones of the thicker strings. now i do that if i want that certain sound.

that being said, if anyone suggested that it's a good thing to play all the notes on one string i'd still chuckle. :p