Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HIMA basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by driedleaves, Mar 13, 2006.

1. driedleaves

driedleaves Guest

Dec 26, 2003
    Italy
    Hi everybody,

I have just one year of experience with my laminated contrabass and while I've decided the bass is definitely my instrument, I would like to sell it to get a carved instrument with a more woody and deep tone. I love Gary Peacock's sound, just to give you the idea.
    I will proabably go out and try as many basses as I can in the next few months, since I want to choose wisely.

In the meantime I was searching the forum for info on HIMA basses.
    Apart from a couple of posts or threads that mention them, I coulndn't find anything about how they play and sound. I was wondering if anybody here owns one and how you think they compare to similarly priced instruments in terms of quality, reliability and sound. They let you try the instruments if you want, which is really good.

I was considering a 7/8 Panormo model, I play mainly jazz and just a little bit of arco. Do you think the shape would be uncomfortable/unsuitable? (Errr... sorry if it's a stupid question)

Thanks in advance.

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i don't have a HIMA bass so i can't comment on that.

i will say that the bass will only play as good as the setup work that is done on it is.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I haven't played the HIMA, but I do think that the general shape and size of the Panormo is more suited to orchestral playing. Those broad shoulders may be a bit of a hindrance when you're venturing up into thumb position. It can be done on the Panormo, but I'd be looking more into a 3/4 sized instrument with more sloping shoulders, to give you better access to the upper register.

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    True dat, if it sounds good to you, it's the right bass.

Damn, Adrian, that's a nice looking axe.

6. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a HIMA Panormo Bass. It is good for what it is. I searched for about 3 months and for 5K, I couldn't really find something that was much better. The lower register has a great growl and bite and the upper register has a nice warmth.

With a good setup they play like a charm. The large shoulders havn't really been a problem for me, but I am 6' 3" and broad shouldered.

I recommend them highly, just take the extra costs and put a good setup on them, and keep them in a stable environment and it will be a great bass for you.

Any specific questions just PM me

7. driedleaves

driedleaves Guest

Dec 26, 2003
    Italy
    Thanks for all the replies... I will obviously spend the extra money for the setup, or the upgrade would be pointless.

Sibass, what size is your Hima Panormo? I'm one inch shorter than you, and have long arms, so I was thinking I could try your same size if 7/8 feels uncomfortable.

8. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Panormo model is 7/8 and a 42" string length. I belive the Panormo model only comes in 7/8 and then there is a gamba model that is a large 3/4 and a bussetto model that is a small 3/4.