1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hints? Tips? Insider info?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Nov 3, 2010.

1. My Dimarzio model J's are in the mail as we speak, as is a sheet of copper shielding tape. My Jazz is a MIM 96 so I'm going to have to route out the bridge pup cavity.

This is going to be my first time for everything I'm doing, from the shielding to the routing to the pups.

I'll be working with my electrician friend and taking it all very slowly, but I was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks from their own experience that might help me to avoid rookie mistakes.

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    The Model J are humbuckers.

Not only that, the pups are also sold individually, so you can buy two short ones and avoid routing.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Luckily, my 96 jazz didn't require much work. I actually didn't router anything. Instead, I took a chisel and took off a mm or so on each side, then just wrapped coarse sandpaper around the chisel and sanded the rest away. It took me all of 20 minutes.

4. That's a relief, I was gonna go after it with a dremel! Did you just sand the ends of the cavity down, or the sides? I guess what I'm asking is, in which direction did the new pup not fit?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Width-wise. The bridge pickups are generally wider to accommodate a greater string spacing. Line up the pickup poles when you get them and decide from there. You'll likely need to shave some off of each side evenly.

6. Awesome, thanks for the info!