1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Hip Hop is the only genre that matters"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Waytootrue, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Waytootrue

Waytootrue

Jan 19, 2018
    Denver
    I disagree with anyone who is gonna try to say which genres matter. Especially if the only thing they are gonna use to support that claim are opinions and popularity.

Mr_Moo and punchdrunk like this.
  2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Not in my world. To each his own, but the powers that be aren't creative thinkers, they're followers.

gebass6, Charlzm, TheBear and 4 others like this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

What pray-tell, matters more than this for any genre? Popularity = $.

All in all the article was pretty empty of substance that matters in the least for music and musicians. Considering the source, I'm not at all surprised.

Clark Dark, fhm555 and superheavyfunk like this.
  4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Total BS.

Everyone knows it's Solipsynthm that really matters.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
  6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Well, then I have lots of anti-matter, and if any of that nasty old matter touches it we're going to have a BIG explosion!

ImpaledOnHi-Hat and mikewalker like this.
  7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't see an article or link, am I missing something?

Mr_Moo, cchorney, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    You need to check out Jaminthevan on YouTube, and also check out 512 Studios Live. That's what matters.

fhm555 likes this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Buddy Holly 1. Sorry; Buddy just told me that that just ain't so... and I always listen to Buddy...:whistle:

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Me neither. If it's just a line a few people are using on Twitter, I wouldn't make much of it.

And a claim like that is just easy fodder for TB, where a lot of members seem to hate any and all hip hop.

11. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
  12. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have nothing against Hip-Hop music, I prefer not to listen to it. It does nothing for me. But hey, if it makes the hair on your neck stand up, go for it.

13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm a rock fan for the most part (50s through 80s for the most part, with a splash of 90s). Classic soul, R&B, blues, and jazz also fill out a big chunk of my music collection. There are a few classical composers I really dig.

I LOVE rap and hip-hop from the 80s and 90s... Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Beastie Boys, N.W.A., Run-D.M.C., Snoop, Dr. Dre. Hits, Rarities and Remixes by TCQ... 3 Feet High and Rising by DLS... Paul's Boutique by the Beasties? Those albums are so much fun... and so well done.

But geez... I haven't heard anything that trips my trigger from the hip-hop world in years... and that includes Kendrick Lamar. I simply don't get the hype about that kid. THAT'S won a Pulitzer?? THAT'S what the kids go nuts over???

Today's weed must be stronger than I first thought -- it has the power to warp minds.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  14. tshapiro

tshapiro Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    Hip hop and country.
    But, since most musicians don’t play hip hop they don’t like it. But, nothing kills live like hip hop. And, in some areas country.
    Jazz, classic rock, blues... all fun to play but doesn’t draw the mainstream crowds. If you don’t play hip hop live than you probably don’t understand and you probably think I’m a jerk for this response. I’d stick around to debate but I have a high paying hip hop gig to get to :)

Mr_Moo, Lava, PimasterPearson and 6 others like this.
  15. "Sorry easily angered fanbase, my thing that you don't like is the only genre that matters right now."

Said every generation by somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about, probably including me about grunge some 20 years ago.

Ian Lewis, Mr_Moo, Plectrum72 and 5 others like this.
  16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I like hip hop. Hip hop moves too quick for most people. It is doing better than rock because of it though. They drop so much more music. In rock, you are lucky to get a new album every two years? In hip hop, not only do people drop singles all the time, but they get featured in each other's songs and new artists come up all the time.

What if bands could figure out how to leak singles over the span between albums? What if bands could somehow feature the hottest new bands in one of these singles or get featured in the hot new single?

Mr_Moo, JRA, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nothing to see here. One opinion by one writer.

That being said, rock is killing itself. When grandpas still tour into their 70s, that's not cool, sexy, or "rock". It's just sad. It's pitiful. And anyone looking in from the outside sees it as just.... weird.

Long live....rock?
    steve howe. mick. Pete_Townshend_-_Phyllis_Keating.

Seriously, guys. Go play with your grandkids.

kartiste, T-Funk, steamthief and 16 others like this.
  18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    And these guys are playing the same old songs night after night for close to 50 years now...

Alex Bass likes this.
  19. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    There’s only two genres of music-
    Good and bad.
    Unfortunately, most hip hop is in the bad.