1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hip Hop similar to G. Love

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 26, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I really love the pop, jazz and blues mix that G. Love has going. Is there anything else in the same vein? Or maybe I should ask for suggestions of "good" hip hop, that isn't about b*tches and h*es, drugs, and gang-banging.

2. The Roots, the be all and end all of good hip hop. K-os is great as well.

lowsound

3. Aesop Rock has done some tracks with jazzy beats.

4. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    I'm gonna throw in a shameless plug for my group, Animate Objects.

We've been compared to the Roots... I like that.

5. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    and to expound beyond shameless self-promotion, also check out:

a tribe called quest
    de la soul
    cyne
    pete rock & c.l. smooth
    the pharcyde

all incredible artists with messages and beats!

6. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Contrary to popular belief, there's lots of hip-hop out there that isn't just a bunch of moronic lyrics over stale, unimaginative beats! Here are some personal favourites:

Ohmega Watts - "The Find". One of my favourites from the last ten years. Intelligent lyrics, a good flow, self produced and some live musicians thrown in for good measure. Well worth checking out.

Michael Franti & Spearhead - "Stay Human". One of Franti's better albums (I didn't like the last three) with some fine bass playing by Franti's MD, Carl Young.

Pete Philly & Perquisite - "Mind.State"

Digable Planets - both albums are great, with "Blowout Comb" edging out "A New Refutation..." by a hair or two.

The Pharcyde - "Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde" - Classic

Me'shell Ndegeocello - "Plantation Lullabies" and "Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape". Not strictly hip-hop, but worth having in your collection.

Soulive - "Turn It Out Remixed". Chali 2na from J5, J-Live, Me'shell and others drop by to add to the stew.

Jurassic 5 - "Power In Numbers" or "E.P."

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - "Mecca And The Soul Brother"

You might also enjoy some stuff by The Herbaliser, Outside, Ozomatli, Lyrics Born, Blackalicious... If you can find a copy of the "Red, Hot & Cool" compilation pick it up.

7. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    great call on Ohmega Watts.

Brilliant record. Same goes for Digable Planets - we opened for them a few years back. Incredible experience.