Hip metal and Ibanez ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, Dec 13, 2000.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    What going on between hip metal and ibanez ???
    Why Korn and limp bizkit use ibanez basses and guitars ??
    I believe some other Hip metal bands also use Ibanez such as Orgy or 311.
  2. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    what's wrong with ibanez? imo&e they make some great guitars. people have been using them even before hip-metal/nu-metal hit the scene. satriani, vai, gambale & benson [to name a few] have been using ibanez guitars even before korn/orgy came along. even smith & murray [iron maiden] have used ibanez. sting, inez, verdine white & willis have used ibanez basses. i wouldn't say that they make the greatest basses though. btw, if memory serves well, 311 uses warwick & prs, not ibanez. and one of the guys in orgy uses a parker fly guitar.
  3. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    wes borland uses a prs nowadays
  4. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    IMO, it's about money. If you read guitar magazines a lot, you will notice that a lot of hip metal bands appear in an advertisement for this that and the other peice of gear every other page. Whether it's Head and Munky in an ad for ibanez guitars or pedals or wes borland for ibanez, or fieldy for ibanez, or limp bizkit for crate, or that guy from Orgy for BC Rich, or John 5 from marylin manson for strings (i forget which ones), and the list goes on and on. I am not bashing ibanez (I play an ibanez myself at the moment) but I think just about everyone will admit that there is gear better than ibanez somewhere in the world. We all know these bands would have no problem shelling out a few thousand bucks for a guitar, but why do that when ibanez will pay you to use theirs. It doesn't matter that you are about the least talented guitar player ever to become famous (IN MY OPINION!) And that there are plenty of other people using their gear that can actually play well, but when all the little MTV lemmings see head or munky or fieldy in an ibanez ad, they just might decide that they want to be as cool as them and the only way to do that is to buy a seven string ibanez guitar and tune it down 3 and a half steps and start bashing it. Korn fans please don't take offense, i realize that some people think this is being creative or innovative and that they are a talented group but I don't. This is just my opinion, so please don't get bent out of shape over it. I actually laughed when I saw the Ibanez ad with fieldy saying "soundgears are all ive played my whole life"; I am still trying to figure out if that is supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing.
  5. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    sam rivers plays warwicks nowadays and orgy uses jacksons.

i truthfully think ibanez is just a fad that everyone is going w/. I haven't played one, but since all the kool bands play them, i think people think ibanez is better than what they are.
    has anyone else noticed that like all the new metal bands play them? and has anyone noticed that after some years most of the bands stop playing ibanez and change to another company?
    this is just an opinion that can be thrown away at will though...
  6. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I think that the Ibanez 5-string SDGR's and their 7-string guitars do LOOK pretty bad-ass. But yeah, most of the people who play them end up switching after a sucessful record when they have enough money to do so. Usually to Warwicks. But thats another good point and a plus for Ibanez's. they are cheap instruments (except for the prestige series and the higher end 7-strings) that give you your money's worth.

I'd still love to know how a "no-talent" bassist like Feildy can play stuff like Reclaim my Place. I know i can't slap that fast. and strum and finger-play and use pedals all in one song.
  7. I don't know if this helps but in the Orgy videos the BP was using an Ibanez Ergodyne... My advice is to ditch the guitar magazines. Just a bunch of worthless ads and bad bass tab. In a typical Bass Player mag there is 100 times the useful information compared to Guitar World, etc., in only 1/4 the number of pages.
  8. It's also interesting to know why hardcore punk bands use Ibanez. Maybe the Offspring can be suspected to sell out (they all play Ibanez), but there is, for example, Pennywise who also all play Ibanez. They've even put a link to Ibanez on their page, saying something like "Our favorite guitars". I don't know, maybe they get paid, but this would contradict with their whole indie image, which is not that of Limp Bizkit or Korn.
    I personally tend to love Ibanez, though I have to admit I can't draw that from my personal experience, it's irrational. After all, I like the way they look, the concept itself, down to details. Even if they are not perfect in sound (though I think some models are still great), why should I play another brand that I visually dislike, if it even sounds a little bit "sweeter"? Doesn't it matter that you like or dislike visually the instrument you play every day?
    I don't know, it seems many people think there are many much better looking basses, but I can't think of any. Fenders look old-fashioned and cumbrous and all those custom basses with gold hardware and flame maple tops are ugly to me. I dislike the shapes of Warwicks, Conklins, Pedullas - you name it.
    So - can the concern of image be excused? Why not?
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    a lot of endorsers play the brand of basses only in video or live, but when in the studio play and record with old precisions, musicman, jazz or even rick. endorsment is absolutely not an insurance that a certain kind of bass is good for you. it's only a matter of money, market and sponsorship. if you play a kind of music you are not obliged to play the same axe that your heroes play. and nowadays it's much better not to speak about indie band attitude...
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will probably get flamed for this, but I too love the way the Soundgears look. Much nicer than a P Bass, although I love Jazz basses and Pedullas too.

My Soundgear 6 is every bit as beautiful as my Fender Jazz and my Pedulla 5, just in a different way.

But the electronics suck big time. Bass sounds great unplugged, but plugged in it is wimpy, honky and thin sounding.

I am replacing the pickups with EMG DC45s and the preamp with EMGs BTC system.

Should rock after those modifications.:D
  11. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    it could always be that they actually do like Ibanez guitars...

...as hard as that might be to believe.
  12. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    but i do agree that product ensorsements do influence a buyers decision. so it is up to the enlightened, more mature musician to help out the beginner by encouraging them to try products out for themselves and not just by the merit of an artist's endorsement.

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am replacing the pickups with EMG DC45s and the preamp with EMGs BTC system.-embellisher

I own a sr5 and agree with you great bass(for fingerstyle not for slapping though). It does have a great tone unplugged but has weak electronics. I have been contemplating also of some EMG replacements and am wondering, can the pickups be directly swapped out or is there a little carpentry involved?

14. When I was just starting to play bass I was attracted to the soundgears. They look really good with the black covered pick-ups and hardware. I tried playing quite a few basses in my price range (Thunderbird, MIM J, MIM P, Longhorn...), but none of them had the feel I was looking for. Sure Ibanez throws out a lot of endorsement, and they are a big company, but that just translates to them selling more basses and the same quality gets cheaper.

I know like 4 other bassists than me personally, my teacher uses Ibanez soundgear 5's(upper end models) my friend in a metal band uses sr485, one girl uses a fender american jazz deluxe 5, and the other uses a MIM P-bass.

I love my Ibanez for the sound. I do not use it to play any metal or punk so I do not have it for the image. I actually use it to play funk and some jazz.

Anyway that is just my view.

15. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000

Ibanez? Thin sounding? Just the other day I was trying out some new 5-strings and I thought that the $2000+ Fender jazz sounded thin and lacked that certin "thump" compared to the $800 Ibanez. But, come to think of it, the Fender was passive. Mabey that was it.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fixer, I changed my mind on this today. For about 2 months I had been planning on EMG electronics.

But, after talking to a very helpful guy named Marcus Morgan at Larry Morgan Music and Sound today, I have decided that I am going to start with an Aguilar preamp.

I can get one of these installed for about $150, and he is telling me that I will probably like the sound of the bass so much at that point that I won't want to change the pickups out. He said that they have done this for several people with the Ibanez ADX5 and ADX6 pickups and that the pickups actually sound pretty good with a good preamp, he said that the cheapo preamp is what makes the bass sound so thin(Just as Gard tried to tell me. You were right, Gard!:D).

But, if I do still want to change them out, I can get a Lane Poor wide aperature(MM type) bridge pickup and a narrow aperature neck pickup(Jazz type) put in for about $200 more, and these are direct drop ins, there is little or no routing required.

The bad thing about Lane Poor is the wait. They are very difficult to deal with, but Marcus tells me that if I still want the pickups after I hear it with the new preamp, that he could get them in about 3 months.
  17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From what I've heard from several the Ibanez brand of soapbars drain 9-volts in hurry and I've kind of found this to be true. Lane Poors on the other hand are quite possibly the best pickups I've ever heard. I just choose the EMG's for there punch the Lane Poors seem to have a much more smoother sound. Thanx for the sound advice in the preamp and pickups though and good luck.
  18. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Wow. installing an Aguilar preamp or dropping in some nice EMG pups never crossed my mind. I have also always thought that the Ibanez SDGR-5's were about the hottest looking basses but obviously the sound just wasn't in there. but with new pickups maybe i could get the look and the sound i'm after. hmmmmm....
  19. Barroso,
    how do you think, does Fieldy play some 60's reissue Precision when no one watches? ;)
    Mmm.. and what's wrong with "indie attitude" nowadays? Do not assume I know much about "indie attitude" because of my nick.