Hip Shot Tuner problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Black Sabbatical, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Black Sabbatical

Black Sabbatical

May 8, 2014
    This is a new tuner. Trying to tune a string the first time and it seems to push out this plug on the bottom and get to a point where it can't turn anymore. Is this something I've done wrong, manufacturing issue?

Attached Files:

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It seems like a manufacturing problem such as maybe a missing retention clip.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yeah, somethings wrong with that tuner; you should be snapping strings before that happens. Contact hipshot, they stand behind their products.

Tbone76 likes this.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah call them up. They'll have a new one in its way immediately. Meanwhile, push it back in and use the tension screw on the side to snug up the plastic bushing in its hole. It'll stop sliding out on you.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you look the whole key has moved toward the plug, tightening the tension screw won't stop that. The shaft looks like it is tapered before it enters the assembly, the others all look parallel.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yep. Didn't see that end.

7. Black Sabbatical

Black Sabbatical

May 8, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I have been waiting over a month for the pickups on this build and now this. FYI, the other 3 strings sound amazing. Pics as soon as she's done completely.

8. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Loosen the worm wheel gear. Probably it is very tight and instead of rotating the wheel, the worm is moving forward when you turn it.

Edit: remove completely the worm wheel and check if there is any burr between the wheel and the flange

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  9. Black Sabbatical

Black Sabbatical

May 8, 2014
    tried that

10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, it's missing the second retaining clip on the worm shaft. On the other tuners, do you see the two little black clips, which are just inboard of the two big bosses on the back plate? They retain the worm shaft between the two bosses. The problem tuner is missing the upper clip. So, the torque load from the big gear is causing the worm shaft to unscrew the little nylon friction drag setscrew. If nothing else is damaged, you just need the little clip.

Hipshot will take care of you. They'll probably just send you a new tuner.

11. Black Sabbatical

Black Sabbatical

May 8, 2014
    Thanks,
    I called Hipshot yesterday and after looking at the pic(on Talkbass), they had me send the tuner in for replacement.
    I love their tuners and installed their new kickass bridge on this build. So, hopefully their customer service comes through as much as their products.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    They are top tier with regard to CS. :thumbsup:

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Another vote here for Hipshot CS.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021