Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hippie life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Oct 23, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Eugene, Oregon- where hippies run rampant, and the Dead still reign supreme. This city has got to be the most hippie filled place I have ever encountered. For those of you not familiar with this lifestyle, let me point out a few traits of a hippie.

- Prefers to ride the bike over using any petrol (it hurts the environment, man)
    - Never washes or cuts hair, resulting in "dreads".
    - Eats organic foods almost exculsively.
    - Smokes herb wherever they please- (cops really don't care up here)
    - Drink the CHEAPEST beer that they can't afford (PBR, Natty Ice.. etc)
    - During a jam, asks if you can play any "dead".
    - Still supports either no one, or John Kerry.
    - Roll their own ciggies.

I am from the LA area of California, and to be quite frank; I feel like Eugene is a different country on a different planet. Thoughts?

2. It's not the only place like that. My home in Ithaca, NY is just like that, excepting the replacement of Kerry with Edwards or Dean. It's good to know it's pretty universal.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Some other Hippie joints include, Humboldt County, California, and Boulder, Colorado.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, those types of places are everywhere. I've been to many all over the country, but furthermore, I hear countless tales of 'the coolest towns' to check out. Usually because the area in question is laid back hippie-ville.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Live and let live :) ?
    I roll my own ciggies but I ain't no hippy.

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Well, to be a TRUE hippie, you must participate in at least 3 of the mentioned activities. Dreads count as 2.

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    There's also a darker side to Eugene. Have you met the violent anarchists yet? ;)

I used to live in Vancouver, (Washington, not BC) so I've been down to Eugene a few times. Seattle has kind of the same feeling sometimes. I mean, we have Hempfest!

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Hippies never really bothered me.

People used to think I was a hippie because I always burnt Nag Champa (even in my car). That stuff smells so good.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Bellingham during the school year is pretty much hempfest 24/7.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah Boulder is a weird place. I went there about a year ago with my Dad and we were walking down the street minding our own business when this crazy hippie lookin' woman probably in her mid 40's or so, stopped us on the street and started talking to us about the mysteries of the universe and finding her spiritual place within the city. :eyebrow: I don't think she was so much hippie as she was just crazy bum. She had the hippie look goin' on though.
    I like how just outside the university there, you'll get a big group of hippies on one side and then a fairly big gathering of police officers about 15 feet away. I think the cops are just waiting for some careless hippie to light a joint right in front of 'em or something. :rolleyes:

AuG

11. As a youth, I lived in both Los Angeles and Eugene. From the perspective of a 0-10 year old, Eugene was fun as hell and LA blew chunks. In Eugene, you could actually go outside and play. On real live grass.

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I saw a video from the univerisy's hempfest situation on 4/20. There is no way the cops can care about weed there.

13. I just have an issue with the non-washing patchouli stank.

14. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    That's one of the worst smells ever.

15. I don't live or go to school in any type of hippie-rich environment at all, but there is a local restaurant in Harrisonburg called "The Little Grill" that's run by genuine 100% certified hippies.

16. its true...at least they are calm...

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    im allergic to patchouli stress oil , so , the beatings will
    continue until morale improves. :eyebrow:

18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Riding bikes is good, and with gas prices being what they are (and the environment thing, plus it's a lot more fun), it makes good sense.

I grew up in Vermont, about 45 minutes south of Burlington where Phish came from. Sufficed to say, there were a lot of ****ing hippies and not many punk kids that I identified with.

While many of them were 'fake' hippies (don't care about the environment, but love the pot and getting with drunk/high chicks), you are not alone.

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So.. are there any cute hippie chicks around? :ninja:

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, chicks who smell like Pop Tarts and have hairy armpits and legs!