1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HipShot A Bridge (for MIA Fender JB Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anotherlin, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm considering upgrading the stock bridge of my MIA Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe. It's a 2009, three hole string through body bridge.

HipShot makes a readily available retrofit part.

So I'm looking for the brass one.

Anybody have experience with HipShot A bridge ? Is there any shortcomings or defaults that I should know about ?

Regards,

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Not on your model bass. I just put a black brass one on my MIM Deluxe Active Jazz. It is a nice looking (the only reason I got it, btw), well made unit that compliments my black Jazz bass' appearance much better than the chromed bent steel bridge it replaced. It bolted right on and even though this was my first attempt to set up a bass it adjusted easily. While my ears (and those of many experts) detect no change in tone or sustain from the extra mass, I was not expecting that and so am perfectly satisfied with the change.

Ken

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Does your bass have the high mass bridge? If so I wouldn't change it...I don't think you really get any benefit over it.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Hipshot Model A is one of my favorite bridge designs. It is extremely verstaile for adjusting string spacing etc. Really nice bridge. I can't see it being anything but an upgrade.

5. I put a Hipshot A Bridge on my 2007 MIA jazz deluxe and it was excellent! looked great and was very functional! I'd agree that it is upgrade!

6. I'm considering this upgrade because the stock bridge is just bent metal, very light, definitely not high mass. Actually, I'm surprised that a bent piece of metal can handle the string tension so well.

Also, my JB has stock hipshot ultralite tuners (newer models don't have them ?), along rather excellent pickups and electronics. So it just doesn't add up to put a "simple" bent metal as a bridge with everything else.

Seems like I can go ahead a proceed to the upgrade :)

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    In that case, I'd do it too.

When did they start with the high mass bridge? I though it was 08'

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1