Hipshot A Bridge Replace Squier Stock Bridge???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PNS128, Dec 28, 2007.

1. PNS128

PNS128

Dec 28, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I have a Squier Affinity P-Bass, and the bridge is less than desired. I have purchased a Hipshot A series bridge, and am wondering what is needed to make the replacement. Any help is appreciated. =D

2. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
    1 Phillips head screw driver...

3. The HS A bridge use a four screw mounting pattern, does it not? The stock bridge, if like mine, use a five screw pattern; if so, then you'll have to position the bridge, mark the mounting hole point, drill new hole to the proper size and then screw the bridge on. If you are unlucky and the new hole interfere with the old one, you'll have to drill and plug the old holes before proceeding.

Seems like a lot of trouble, why not just get the HipShot vintage bass bridge? The bolt pattern should match already, it's top loading like the A and good quality.

4. PNS128

PNS128

Dec 28, 2007
    Rhode Island
    definitely shouldve gone w/ the Vintage bridge come to think of it. the mounting style slipped my mind while purchasing.

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    This is really no problem at all!

1. Check the bass's scale length, write it down, and then remove the old bridge.
    2. Remove any dirt/ dust from inside the holes.
    3. Get some wood filler from your local DIY shop. Its colour doesn't matter as the new bridge should cover it. If it doesn't don't worry.
    4. Fill the old holes with wood filler and wait for them to be completely dry. I would say 48 hours min myself.
    5. Once dry, smooth over the filled area (it should have sunk a little) and make sure there are no rough areas.
    6. If you can see the filled holes with the new bridge on, then go and get your sisters/ mum's/ your own nail polish collection out and choose the correct shade to match the body work.
    7. Place the bridge in the CORRECT location. Use a tape measure to ensure that your G-String is at EXACTLY the right distance from the nut. Although you can alter this with intonation, getting it right first time is very useful. Make sure the bridge is EXACTLY 90 Degs from the body, 89 isn't good enough. Tape in place with masking tape
    8. Using a braddle, make some punches in the exact centres of the screw holes
    9. Remove the bridge and set to one side
    10. Drill a pilot hole (a smaller hole than the screw needs) at 90 degs to the body. A good piller drill is best for this as then you don't go too deep when you drill.
    11. Now fit the bridge to the body and screw down. I highly recommend using bee's wax on the screws to reduce friction as they cut their threads into the body. This means you get a tighter lock down on the bridge, better coupling, and better tone.

I hope this has helped.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021