1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot A Style Bridge for Fender Marcus V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wimpy, May 6, 2010.

1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I like to make bridge upgrade on my Marcus V JB, just becouse I like fast strings replacement...but which one is better? Hipshot A Style-Aluminium or Brass?...I think with brass bridge sound will be more tight (BadAss like) Marcus V JB is light insrument in weight so I think I don't care if this bass will be heavier after bridge replacement...I don't know if this light swamp ash instrument will sound o.k. with aluminium bridge...thanks for helps or ideas Wimpy

my original Thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654489

2. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Review from Hipshot website:
    I purchased and installed a brass bridge to replace the original Hipshot aluminum bridge. The difference in tone was immediate. With the brass, I got more clarity, crystalline bell like top end and overtones. It was almost like installing new strings. In my 30+ years, I never experienced such drastic change just by replacing a bridge. There is a distinct tonal difference between aluminum and brass. It’s up to you to find what suits your tastes. This brass 5 string bridge is top notch quality, second to none. The tone I have now is very "piano" like and bright. Which is exactly what I'm looking for and found.

3. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Adamovic basses website:

We use Hipshot A-style bridges for basses. These are high quality and adjustable bridges. The bridges can be made out of aluminum or brass and have the option for thru body stringing. Brass ads more 'ring' to the tone and therefore we advice to use brass for lightweight body woods such as alder and aluminum for harder tops or body woods.

4. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Taken from Hipshot's website:
    "Aluminum bridges are lighter in weight so if you are concerned about your instruments over all weight than aluminum is the way to go. Aluminum tends to deliver more mids and highs while brass accentuates the low end tones."

5. i think the brass hipshot b sounds even better. its a little more alive sounding.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I love my Hipshot A. Im not sure what one it is though, looks like stainless steel or aluminum.

7. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    thank you...and bump!

8. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    bump

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you want a more traditional Bass tone go Aluminum.

If you want an aggressive sounding, 'traditional' HIGH-MASS BRIDGE tone go Brass.

10. Interesting... haven't thought about bridge materials in a loooong time.

If my ash-maple bass weighs 12 pounds already, do you guys think adding a brass bridge would be going overboard? Or would it accentuate the characteristics of the bass?

11. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    brass one ordered :hyper:

12. schnatzbass

schnatzbass

Nov 3, 2005
    Germany
    so do you hear a difference in tone with the brass? Also, whats the difference in weight between the brass and the aluminum style A bridge?

thanks cheers

R.

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I just got a brass A for my fretless 6, replacing the original for wider spacing. I't a really nice bridge with some good heft to it. The original bridge on my 6 was brass, too, but its profile was taller. I think I'm going to have to make a shim to raise it up some brcause I have the string height set at maximum and the action is still a bit too low. Luckily, I happen to have a sheet of 1/8" thick brass plate that I just remembered about....I was going to use steel, but might as well use brass to keep the materials consistent.