1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot A-style Bridge Saddle Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by J0hn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Anyone have any experience with setting up this bridge? I haven't put it on because I'm still waiting on my body that should arrive today, but just by comparing it to my other P basses, the saddles seem to sit a bit high even with them set as low as they will go. Now I'm worried this will throw my action off and I may need to order another bridge to get it where I want it..

Edit: I should add, this is specific to the P bass. It will be going on a build using a genuine fender P body and neck. I've had this same bridge on a few jazzes and it was fine. Maybe it's the radius of the jazz neck? Or hopefully I'm just wrong and overthinking it.

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I've thought this, too, and with some basses, the A can raise action. But, mostly, it's fine, because of how low the string actually sits on that contact piece (the adjustable spacer), as opposed to ABM's model (similar to Warwick saddles). The Hipshot saddles, as a whole, look big, until you see where the strings actually sit.

J0hn likes this.
  3. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply.

Worst comes to worst I'll just grab a vintage fender bridge and swap it out. I know for sure I can set them to how I like it. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Something high mass that would still let me get a really low action is preferred.

4. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
  5. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I really like that kickass bridge. Wish I would have gotten that to begin with. At first I was going to go for all black hardware so I got the A style in black. Now I'm going all chrome so, as much as I'd like to not waste the $100 I spent on the black Hipshot, I'm almost hoping it doesn't give me my desired action so I have an excuse to buy that one. :D

6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hipshot is an awesome company to work with, and will accomodate you. See if they will sell you a new bridge at a discount or something, since you changed your mind. As long as they know you like and are using their stuff in the public eye, then that's about all you need. I met their then-president at NAMM once (Winter '09), and I've since had an awesome artist discount on everything they make. I've also gotten them to do custom color schemes, too, and/or mix and match parts (I think anyone can opt for these things). I've done chrome bridges with black saddles, springs and screws, as well as tuners with the same color combos, and vice-versa, etc. Ask for Jason or Oscar, and see what they can do for you...they're really nice people. Tell them Ben Bond referred you!

607-532-9404

J0hn likes this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If the saddles are too high even when set as low as they can be, it's a perfect candidate for a shim in the neck pocket. It's a common, simple and reversible solution.

Lownote38 and J0hn like this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't know if this helps...

Hipshot_4-String_Bass_Bridge.

J0hn likes this.
  9. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks for the help fellas. Turns out it was just my eye that was off--the saddles actually needed to be raised a bit to hit the proper action. I like how the black hardware turned out :D
    View attachment 2830762

Lownote38 and songwriter21 like this.