1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot A vs B style bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassBuzzRS, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Hey, I'm going to retrofit a fender jazz with a quick exchange bridge. Do any of you have comments on either of theses two fine bridges? Pros or cons with them?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the b sounds like a fender bridge with the bonus of no side to side movement. the a sounds slightly different with all of its adjustablility. nothing youd be able to hear in a mix but its there.

3. I've used A's on a couple of projects- they work fine and look nice. Also the 'vintage' style- pretty hip design IMO. Don't care for the B style look myself.

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks for the replies.
    Well the vintage looks nice but it is not listed in the "Retrofit Bass Parts" section on their website so maybe it will not retrofit directly?

The B is cheaper than the A too I just noticed. Leaning towards the B :)

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    isn't the A body through option.??

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Yes looks that way. I don't need that :)

7. I love their A bridge. Just looks so much nicer. And it's more adjustable.

8. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've used both, and they're all fine bridges, but I agree with Eric. The A style has way more visual appeal.

9. Had the A style in one of my basses for a while, but took it off because i couldn't get the action low enough, I plan on replacing it the the B style.

10. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    A-style can be used body-through OR top-load.

11. They both have thru body or top load - get from BestBassGear.com

Just go on looks. They both roughly have the same mass... the Style A may have a bit more.

The Style A just doesn't look right on a classic style Jazz bass though.... the Style B works better as far as looks.

Both are solid and will do the same thing... just go on looks.

12. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    a 4-string in chrome? Selling it? :)

13. For ONCE I agree with you. The A style has kind of a badass vibe. Which I kinda like, in some cases.
    The vintage bolts on the same way.

14. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    Hipshot "A" bridges are available in either brass or aluminum.

15. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    the 4 strings hipshot vintage has the same 5 mounting holes as the 4 strings fender…. The stainless steel one is a great product.

M