Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HIPSHOT are they worth the money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 8, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a few projects coming up that involve hollow bodys. I am looking to keep the neck dive down and the LBS . The hipshots would be used with a warmoth hollow jazz bass. I am looking to have a vintage look with the machine heads. can any one tell me if hipshot hardware is worth all the money if so were is the cheapist place to go. THANK YOU ALL:cool:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I suppose. Stewmac.com has good prices.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Hipshot makes great tuners and bridges. I have them on a couple of my basses and have no complaints. I can't say that their tuners are really any better than the GB7 Gotoh or the mini Schaller's (they all make great tuners) but if your bass is slightly neck heavy, the new Hipshot Ultralites will definetly help some. As far as the best place to purchase them, if your local music store doesn't have them at a decent price you might try Stewart-MacDonald (1-800-848-2273).

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I got one of the hipshot detuning machine head,and its one of the best things i got. Definately worth the money. The only thing is u gutta get used to the tuning method. say if u want E, you tune it a little flat, then u flick the switch and it brings up the pitch. so if u tune it to exact E, then flick the switch, then flick it back, its E and a little bit sharp. If you got any other questions, ask away.

5. AGTMAUVE

AGTMAUVE

Jul 28, 2002
    I have the GB7 style ultralites and an ultralite detuner. My only complaint is that the tuning posts don't seem to be tapered. IMO it makes string changes more difficult.

6. ALL of my 4-string basses have the HipShot Detuner installed......