1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Bridge. 3 screw heads = problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by synterx, Mar 25, 2009.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Trying to give a new bass a good setup, and I'm having issues with the Hipshot Quadrajust bridge. See the pictures. The 1/3/5 strings all have phillips head screws holding the bridge down. However, the screw heads pop up enough that the saddles ride on top of them causing the height of the strings to go up quite a bit. I thought the underside of the silver saddles would be shaved away to allow safe riding over the screw heads. But they seem flat underneath.

Is this normal? Do I have the wrong screw heads on the bridge? Seems factory, and I have 2 other identical bridges and basses, and while it is the same, it's not as bad for some reason.

See how on the 2nd picture from the side, the B string's saddle is tilted up at the back? That's because it's sitting on the screw head, and thus that's the lowest the string can go, even though it can go lower still.

Has anyone removed the 3 saddles and filed them down? Or are there flatter screw heads?

am I alone in this?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Try different screws

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Take a screw out and take it to the hardware store and match it up with one that has a flat head. I certainly wouldn't shave the saddle.

4. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    They already look fairly flat. The screws shouldn't have to be replaced. I'm not sure I could get flatter heads now that I look at it. I emailed Hipshot the same thing, maybe they have a better solution.

5. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    Can you deepen the holes with a countersink or counterbore?

6. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Hipshot bridges come with oval head screws (as do most bridges), and though they look flat they are not. Take BadB's advice and get some flat head screws. That few thousandths of an inch make all the difference.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    maybe you could grind down the faces of the offending screws just a little (not enough to lose purchase with the screwdriver, of course).

or in extreme, take the problem screws and saddles out and deepen the holes that those three screws sit in just a little with a countersink bit.