1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot BT1 on M-2000

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ErnieD, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I installed a new BT1 on my G&L M-2000 bass recently. After many attempts, I am mostly able to tune the open E and it mostly stays tuned after moving the BT1 stalk open and closed. A couple times the open moved upon moving the BT1 stalk to low D. I can only get the down tune to get to Eb and no lower as I check on my tuner. I've searched here a lot and have not found a similar issue posted.

First off, should the factory holes have matched up exactly to the BT1 tuner holes? Mine did not, so I made new holes upon laying the BT1 in place.
    Secondly, I followed the Hipshot video showing the install and tuning after pretty much to a T and I'm not having any luck getting the BT1 to reach low D at all. Again, only down to Eb.

Finally, I used the stock chrome tuner sleeve that was in the headstock. Should I have removed that stock O-ring and installed the one that came in the BT1 package for a proper fit? The tuning stalk stayed loose during my install but it now feels very tight when turning the tuning key.

I've only seen some vids or threads of installing the BT1 on the G&L L-2000 and not the M-2000. Should the BT1 fit the M-2000 without any mods? I'm thinking I may somehow installed the BT1 incorrectly, just not sure how. And maybe this is why the BT1 won't move down to low D when I attempt that.

Thanks for any answers this is my only 4 string bass and not my main bass. So if I have to remove the BT1 and reinstall it, maybe someone can tell me where I might have gone wrong with my install?

Sorry if I've misused any terms that may make it difficult for anyone to suggest a fix, pls correct me if you need to. I'm just describing my issue without any techy-terms. I have already sent my long email to Hipshot for help but wanted to check here too. Thanks in advance. peace, e.

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Well I spoke with a tech at Hipshot this afternoon. Very nice guy. He said I do have the correct model, BT1, for the M-2000 bass. He suggested a couple possible fixes, just haven't gotten around to them yet. But if anyone has had an issue such as mine, pls make a suggestion before I disassemble the entire thing again and start all over. I already have a new set of 4 holes behind the headstock I've now made and would rather not make more. peace, e.