1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot BT7 "Extender" install on Squier VM Jazz - not fun.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by michaelandrew, Oct 5, 2013.

1. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right.

Well, it should have been a drop-in replacement for the E-string tuner - not quite:rollno:.

Removed the stock tuner and saw that the the screw holes lined up nicely with the base-plate of the BT7. The Hipshot mounting screws are very small, slightly shorter than the stock screws and have counter-sink heads - so they won't "bottom" in the screw holes and the heads will sit flush on the base plate. First three screws in the the base plate - so far, so good -then I twist the head off the last screw.:mad::bawl:

The screw didn't feel overly tight and I don't think I used any more torque than on the other three; it just kinda twisted off (honest):confused::(.

The only way I know of to fix this is to drill out the broken screw but it's so small I'd have to use an oversize drill (say 1/4") and then plug the hole, sand, re-finish etc etc.

Long story short: I was able to drill out the holes for #4, 1/2" wood screws. These worked, sit low enough in the base plate and, most importantly, didn't break:D.

Don't get me wrong, the Hipshot parts are excellent and work well. Just be careful with those teeny-tiny mounting screws.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Hey, I know this is a necro-post, but I wanted you to know that you have solved a big problem for me! I just got a BT7 for my ‘04 Deluxe Jazz Active. I’d installed Xtenders before, and had this attached and restrung in minutes. But I noticed that something was wrong with the movement of the drop-d mechanism. I took it all apart and again reassembled in minutes. Same issue! Had to get to band practice, so I used the bass as-is, and was scratching my head all evening, and now morning... Until I stumbled across your post! I used the stock Fender mounting screws with the oval heads! I didn’t realize the heads need to be flat to allow the mechanism to move freely! Can’t wait to get home from work and correct my error! Thanks!

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Just so you don't bust a screw the way the OP did, run the screw threads over a candle or a bar of soap before driving them in. Either will provide a nice lubrication that makes the screw go in much easier without compromising its holding ability.

Johnny Znuff and Lownote38 like this.