Hipshot can go down from E to B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheTurtle, Jul 9, 2004.

1. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm very interested in putting an Hipshot Detuner on my bass. I read on Hipshot website that the Detuner can go from E down to C but I know that some player go down on B...
    So is it possible to go down to B or every Hipshot can not go lower than C? :help:

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Email sent...

Matt Garrison does it, so i tried it and it works fine.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Make sure that you are using a heavy enough gauge string or you will be unhappy with the sound and feel.
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Definitely! On my fretless Jazz with a hipshot, D'Addario Chromes work well.

5. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Tune your E string down to B with your current tuner. That will give you an idea of the sound/floppy factor. I tried it on my old MIA P with my hipshot. I had just barely enough screw left to reach it. It was recognizable as a B...sorta, but it definitely redefined floppy so I never went lower than D. One guy told me he had good results by using an actual B string tuned up to E in place of the E on his 4, but I never gave that a shot. Seems like it would put a lot of extra tension on the neck.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I have heard of someone having to modify a Hipshot extender just to get down to C. I think it involved a little grinding, but I could be wrong about that. I don't know whether it involved a Fender-type tuner or a Gotoh-type, and that probably has something to do with it.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    This is purely speculation, but since there are several different Hipshot D-Tuner models to fit different tuners and headstocks, I can see where some might not have quite as much room for the shift lever to move as others, and that may mean some models don't detune quite as far.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My hunch is that your hunch is spot-on.