hipshot corrosion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rayle_Trail, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    hey, I recently bought a Hipshot 4-String Bass Bridge in gold, and after about of month of it sitting around doing nothing, it's begun corroding slightly, apart from being pritty pissed off I was wondering what would stop the corrosion, Im in the semi-tropical region of Australia so I blame the humidity among other things :spit: . We've got WD40 here which does the trick to remove moisture but I was wondering if there was anything special to stop it?
    :hyper: thanks again :hyper:
  2. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I used to live in Florida and the combination of humidity and salt air would wreck a lot of finishes on steel and many other metals.

Are you getting a scaling on your chrome finish or does the chrome seem to be lifting from the base metal? If the chrome seems to be lifting, you might have a warranty claim. After you clean the bridge up, try keeping a wax finish on your hardware. Do whatever you can short of spraying it down with lacquer to keep the air from getting to it!
  3. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    If you just have discoloration, you need to clean and wax the hardware. If you are getting pits or lifting of the plating, talk to Hipshot and they will take care of it.