Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot D-tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Truktek2, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I was throwing my bass with a Hipshot D-tuner into a gig bag on the way to a rehearsal when a thought entered my mind.

Do you leave it closed in the E position, or open in the D position when transporting? I normally leave it in the closed E position, but then there is no load on the adjusting screw on the D-tuner.

Would this make it more prone to getting knocked out of tune? Should I leave it in the open D position (thereby leaving the adjusting screw loaded, making the screw harder to go out of tune?)

Does it matter? or would I be tuning the E and the D regardless when I got there. Damn random thoughts keep me up at night :D

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  3. Register_To_Disable

4. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    Never used a D-tuner, so I have a question about this; when using it a lot, does the E/D string get out of tune fast?

5. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks Jauqo. Just out of curiousity, do you leave it open or closed? I should've made a poll.

Once it's in tune, It's ok. It's a little finicky getting both the E and D spot on. There's a video on youtube that shows you how to tune it. You have to set up the E a little flat, other than that it's fine, I was more concerned with it going out of tune while transporting

6. oysteivi

oysteivi Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Trondheim, Norway
    I transport it in the E position (closed) and I've never noticed the adjustment screw move because of it.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I transport mine in whatever position it was last in. I really do not think it matters and I have never had issues with mine.

8. I transport mine in E, but it really doesn't matter. With a gig bag, you'll be tuning anyhow once you unbag it.

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Sure there is.
    Or should be...
    You have a single-stop D-Tuner, yes?
    Does yours not have the coil spring on the tuning thumscrew?
    That's what it's for...

On a double-stop DTuner, the 'middle note' adjusting sccrew has no tensioning spring, but its thread is intentionally a little tighter for this reason.

Picture from Hipshot site, modified to show the tensioning coilspring...

Attached Files:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

You're welcome. I leave the D-tuner closed.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Mine are closed afaik. I also don't think it matters. I've honestly never given it a thought

12. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    Disclosures:
    None. At all.
    I've transported basses with Hipshots always in the closed position for around 20 years. No problems or issues at all, even with the ones that are 20 years old.