1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot D-Tuner.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Jan 24, 2012.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I was looking through the Hipshot website to look for the drop D tuner, then I saw there are 2 options, and I don't know which I need.
    I have a MM Stingray 4 string, and the options are "bass of treble side" and "lever actions: double action, or standard"?

About the D tuner itself, is good, the string won't get out of tune? I found myself tuning the bass every hour, so I looked into it.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Good product. The double-action lever is a recent option - it allows you two stops, so you could drop your E down to D, and then from there down to C (for instance).

Bass or treble side - should be self-explanatory. I don't have a MM, but a quick perusal of their website shows that you'll want the BT1.

When tuning the extender, Hipshot recommends a particular method - namely, tune the E a few cents flat, then flip the lever to D, check tuning, and then when you flip the lever back up to E, the E should now be in tune. I believe this is due to the slight amount of friction present at the nut. Once that's done, though, you're good.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Double-action lever? If Michael Manring gets wind of it he'll raise the bar of alternate-tuning bass-playing. AGAIN. :D

4. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Sorry for what might me a dumb question, but I need the "bass" option, right?

5. Yep, bass side.
    Unless you want to drop tune the G.
    I went nuts and put six of them on a wishbass.
    Took a bit of work to tweak the throw off levers, but I managed to jam them all on and make it functional.
    Heavy as all heck, but functional!

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    LOL! Each string capable of three notes? I can't even do the math on that for combinations, let alone play it.