Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot D tuners - what about 'em?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by arther daily, Mar 2, 2001.

1. What are they like?

Do they work?

Do they change the sound?.... other than D tuning!!

Do they go all wobbly and keep coming undone mid song?

Do they involve making changes to your bass that cannot be reversed so you cant go back to the original peg?

Any info anyone???

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They're only levers that alter the position of the tuning peg. You can switch back and forth between tunings as often as you can reach the lever.

Very well!

You can tune it any way you'd like. I think drop-D is the most common, however.

I have no problems, and have had it for 5 years on my Spector.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My Yamaha Attitude Limited (Billy Sheehan model) has a D-Tuner. As the bass came from the manufacturer with the D-Tuner installed, I cannot answer your question about alterations to your bass, but I think they would be minimal because the D-tuner lever is attached to the E string tuner.

I will say this, if you do install a HipShot D-Tuner and decide you seldom use it, you won't need to take it off your bass and reinstall a regular tuner. Why? Because the D-Tuner does not get in your way or alter the E- string in any regard. I discovered I seldom used the D-tuner because I wasn't in bands that required it for any music. The bands I was in tuned down all strings, so I really didn't need the D-Tuner.

The D-tuner is actually a lever on your E-string tuner. It is hardly noticeable. It won't get in your way. Maybe this is needless to say, but if you use the D-tuner, be sure to check the string when it is detuned to be sure it is really D.

I've had my bass ten years and it has never caused "wobbliness" in the E-string.

My advice would be to give it a try. You will not be "worse off" except for the money it costs. The worst that can happen is that you will discover you don't really use it as much as you thought you would.

JO

4. cool, cheers chaps!

i thought it might be a good alternative to tuning down, mid set.

5. If you think you want a "D" tuner tune the bass down to C or D and play it like that for several weeks before you buy one. If you like playing in this tuning after a while, then the tuner will be usefull to you. It takes a while longer to tune the bass. There is an older thread talking about tuning with a d tuner.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I used to use one all the time before I went 5 string full time. I still have one for sale if anyone is interested. It's a black Gotoh style tuner. Email me if you are interested.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My 77 Jazz came with one and I use it all the time it works great!!!

8. I have a hipshot d-tuner that I installed myself.It came with detailed instructions and is VERY easy to install and it replaces your existing tuner with NO modification to your bass.I really like mine,it's a very simple design and works flawlessly.I use it for drop tuning and cool dive-bomb effect(let the lever down REEEAALL slow with a distorted sound)almost like having a tremelo on one string.most people tune to "d" but you can tune it to whatever note you like(within reason...it will slak your string and the note will be inaudible e.g low "a" is out of the question unless you use a 5string)but on a 4 string you can go as low as "c".I tune mine to "b" for a virtual 5string.a little floppy but a real cool effect hope this helps

9. can someone post a pic of one or link me to somewhere that has pics of them? I'm curious on how they look. Thanks