Hipshot D-tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HardRockBassMan, May 26, 2000.

1. How much do these things cost? I've asked around at music stores and they give me prices of around $70. What the heck for? I imagined around $25 - $30. Do they do things I don't know about? Vacuum your house? Butter your toast? HELP!!!

Chris Marye

2. JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    hardrock, there is a post on further down in here called b string tuning that talks a little on detuners and I posted up a question in the setup board also. This website was in a reply to my question http://www.hipshotproducts.com/.
    hope this helps.

If you find one that vacuums please let us know. [​IMG]
  3. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.

The Hipshot Xtender keys are awesome! Standard on all my bass. Well, except my new Am Del Jz...but I am working on a custom one as we speak because Hipshot doesn't offer an exact replica yet.

Anyhoo, make sure you get the right one and it's pretty darm easy to replace yourself. My advice is to break off a little piece of those squared toothpicks and put it on the hole first to prevent any stripping of the wood. Also, a little graphite dust on the nut helps the string move more efficient.

4. i agree...a hipshot xtender is a good investment. it takes a few minutes to get the hang of tuning it (at least it did for me), but its pretty simple. its nice to jump from e to d and back again quickly!
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This is a really great topic that seems to be forgotten. Let's see if it gets some more attention in "Miscellaneous".

Will C. [​IMG]

You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

6. If you can't afford a 5 string bass, buying a D-tuner is a nice way to extend the capabilities of your bass towards a 5 string.

Once you get the hang of it it's fairly easy to D-tune while playing.
    To prevent a sloppy D-tuned E string I recommend using a heavy gauge E string. Don't expect a nice solid D using a 90 as E string, think 105 or 110.

A nice addition to a 4 string bass I'd say.

7. Is the hipshot a "do-it-yourself" type installation or do I need to get the shop to do it? In other words, is there much of a chance of me seriously screwing something up if I attempt to install it myself?

8. i reckon save your money if it's going to be 70 bucks. I used to want one and thought they were a wonderful invention. but if you can play we, and have a decent ear , you should be able to quickly tune e-d-e. And i you do it often enough you can get to d and twist back to e and be right on the money. well thats what i do. but it would be cool to have on i guess, especially if your doing songs that switch or hit c and you're only got 4