Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Detuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jan 10, 2001.

1. What's a Hipshot Detuner?

2. Hey Rick,
    A Hipshot detuner is a lever that attaches to a tuning key on your bass. When you flip the lever, it drops the string to a preset pitch. Most people use the Hipshot on their E string, and set the lever to drop the string down to D. You have to tune the string with the lever down, to set the pitch which it will drop to. It's very handy if you need to play notes lower than E, but don't want to use a 5-string bass.
    Michael Manring, on his Zon Hyperbass, has Hipshots on all 4 tuners, to faciliate his re-tuning in the middle of songs. The most radical example is "The Enormous Room", from the album "Thonk." If you can, get ahold of the video "Michael Manring: The Artist's Profile" and you can see him doing it in concert. Amazing.

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Dave, I wipped this up while you were posting so there's some overlap. I am posting it anyway. Respect.

It is a mechanical device that replaces the tuning peg for lowest string on the bass typicly. It functions as a normal tuning peg as well as allows changing the tuning down to a lower note. That’s why its called a D tuner get it. I have one on my fretless and with medium strings I am able to set up to go down to a B note. This is equivalent to having a five string with the e string missing sort of.

There is a lever that engages the lower note move by pivoting the tuning beg by a few degrees. The pivot stops where a thumbscrew resides and is therefore adjustable. Hip shot advertises as low as a c note for the device so your mileage may vary. One guy I knew called it a poor mans five string. I like them.

Here is a review on one

http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/reviews/hipshot-rvw.html

Here is the company

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/

Good luck,
    jc

4. Good deal, Rockinjc.. your technical explanation was better than mine! And you were thoughtful enough to provide links, too. Respect!

5. Wow! Talk about talkbass.com mind readers! haha
    I was just going to post the same question on hipshot d-tuners! I am assuming they do no damage i.e. mar the fininish of your bass? This could be the answer I was looking for...I have to pass up many songs since I am too lazy to retune/drop tune,etc...

Laterz!
    Usul

6. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    A good floor or rack tuner is a valid option BTW. You should talk to the Hipshot folks and ask them about the installation for your specific model, but my 70's P-bass was a no drill, no marks deal. I think my 2000 Hot Rod P will take two small holes to do it.

I think its worth it. I am not a keep it pristine kind of guy. Unless it the kind of bass thats so rare you shouldn't take it to gigs anyway. My lead guitarist plays solos on his bare tele tuner...what a freak!

jc

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have a HipSHot D-Tuner on my Yamaha Attitude Limited four string. It is set on the E-string to tune it to D. The D-tuner has in no way marred the finish of the bass or caused me any problems in any way. The reason is that the D-tuner is at the back of the head of the bass, not the actual fretboard. It is like a lever and is attached to the E-string tuner.

A little story. One time my son tripped over my bass and it landed right on the D-tuner! :-( Anyway, the D-tuner bent somewhat, but I was able to work it back into place and I have had no problem with the device.

Jason Oldsted

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    You should have no problem finding an exact match as your machineheads. Hipshot makes many styles and covers almost every machinhead made. These are easy enough for a beginner to replace. I've used them for years and love em'.

9. I've put Hipshot D-Tuners on both my P-basses and set them to D. they're handy to flick for just when a low D or E flat is needed in a song, as well as all the way through a song.

what I'm wondering is if Hipshot have ever made them with more than one detuned setting? it would be great to have a second setting for low C or C# as well.

10. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Like put a second cam on the same lever. I wish.
    jc

11. Joronamo

Joronamo

Dec 12, 2009
    The thumbscrew on mine is really loose. I am finding it almost impossible to calibrate it exactly to Drop-D. My tuner cant quiet read it as a perfect D. I suspect its faulty. I emailed Hipshot support. Anyone else had this problem?

12. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    Mine came pre-installed on my Washburn CB-14. Love the versatility of a split second change to drop D.

13. If it helps, the pre-installed Hipshot on my Tony Franklin Fretless tunes to E fine and drops perfectly to D, but when I go back up to E the tuner shows E to be slightly flat. The screw seems a little loose, but I have nothing to compare it to. I followed the instructions on the Fender site for adjusting it, and I can't hear anything off when I play it, so I presume its OK....

14. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Put a little graphite powder in the string channel on your nut. It allows the string to slide over the nut and not bind or drag.

15. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Just stretch out the spring. That will tighten up the looseness of the screw pretty well.

16. Joronamo

Joronamo

Dec 12, 2009
    How do you stretch out the screw?

17. Sometimes you have to take a break in the middle! :D

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Somebody mentioned the concept of two cam positions. If I'm not mistaken, it exists now. Also, the guys at Hipshot make all their own stuff, so if you have a special problem or request, CALL THEM. They've been a huge help to me with a couple different issues.

19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    ++1

20. Thanks! I will source some and give it a go.