Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Detuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheTurtle, Aug 8, 2004.

1. TheTurtle

TheTurtle Guest

Nov 13, 2003
    I've installed an Hipshot Detuner on my bass and go from E to low B, it sounds great but I think it's not very accurate in tuning. Sometimes when I come back from B to E I find the E very sharp and I need to retuning it... and then retuning the B... so... in this way the Detuner is useless if I have to retuning my string anytime I use it!
    I find also the tuning machine harder to turn than the other I have on my bass, is it normal? What's your experience in using Hipshot Detuner?

Thanks

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's probably not that accurate because it's not meant to GO that low. The lowest it's meant to go is a C, and that's pushing it (some people can't even get it there). It's not a "detuner", it's a "D-Tuner". It's intended and designed for drop-D tuning. Yeah, you can go lower, and I'd probably have mine set for Eb a lot (just 'cause the jazz and concert bands at school love Eb as a key, jerks) if I had one, but damn. It's still pretty commendable that you actually got it all the way down to B.

The screw in the shaft of the tuner (the key-part) is probably really tight. You can find the head of the screw in the middle of of the tuning key, perpendicular to the headstock. Loosen it a bit. I keep mine fairly tight because I don't want someone to bump it and knock it out of tune, and it just feels weird to have to crank the tuners to get any sort of tuning jumps.

3. the d-tuner will do what you want,but you need to follow the instructions to the letter..heres what worked for me...first tune your bass,then work the d-tune lever about 3-4 times(your E should settle a little sharp)now tune your E with the tuning key,..drop it again with the lever and bring it back, you should be pretty stable now..tune your B by EAR..a tuner will give a wacky read on a string that was never intended to go that low..some quick tips,...use the thickest E string you can find,especially when tuning to B,that extra mass will bring extra tension to that string and help stablize the tuning issues,I used to use a .110 E string,but I also had to file the nut slot a LITTLE to get it to fit AND be able to move freely...also try rubbing pencil led in the nut slot for lube,works great and you can get it anywhere..as far as the tuner being a little harder to turn,just use a little 3 in 1 oil...JUST A DROP...it should help..over time it will get better..hope this helps

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    rekesbass has great advice, but tune up and down a LOT when you first string it. The string needs to settle in. Up and down a few times then tune your E, tune your B, and do it all over again until you're accurate. Believe me, once you get it right, it won't screw up. I had four Hipshots on four basses for a long time, NEVER had a problem once you get them.

Be patient grasshopper.