1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Detuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Leftybass12, May 1, 2010.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello. I'm going to be getting a hipshot detuner very soon...however I have a question about it. I am probably going to be put it on my E-string tuning peg, but I have another idea. I'm thinking about putting it on the G-string tuner instead, or the A-string tuner. Is this possible? More so for the G-string tuner.

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    What bass is it? Are your tuners four in a row or 2x2?

3. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Ibanez GSR 200FM.....2x2

4. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    It's possible wherever there is room, but the idea behind it is to reach for a note that's lower than attainable.

Not a judgement at all, I'm interested in why detune A or G, it sounds like it might be interesting in a way I can't wrap my head around.

At one point I thought it'd be cool to have 4 if you needed to constantly drop a half step and back.

5. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    You will need a reversed (lefthanded) detuner for the G string. Maybe even a right handed one might fit but you'll have problems accessing it.

6. DavidE

DavidE

Feb 7, 2010
    You'll need room for the lever to move.

7. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Really what I'm doing it for is to keep a consistent droning note and to change the root note, which is going to be the droning note, while in mid playing, think an extremely dumbed down version of what Michael Manring would do.

8. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Very true. However, I don't think reversed ones are made at all.

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I'm 100% sure I read that Billy Sheehan used to have 2 of them on one of his basses. Not his Yamaha Attitudes, I think it was the pinkish (rose blue?) one he had when he was with David Lee Roth. He had them on his E and G strings, and had it set up so he could have D-A-D-A tuning.

10. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006