Hipshot Detuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexclaber, Dec 23, 2002.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm thinking of adding a detuner to my bass so I can drop the E-string to B - according to Hipshot's site it can only drop as far as C, but Matt Garrison has one fitted to drop his E-string down to B; the big question is thus: can you really get a standard hipshot to drop an E-string down to B?

2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I have a Hipshot on my E string. I only tune as low as D. I tried dropping it lower, but it will be floppier than a worn out rubber band. Someone once suggested using a B string in the E string slot, drop tuning it to B and then tuning it up to E. Haven't tried this though as I've been happy with just having the low D and Eb when I need them and a simple 4 string when I don't.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've tried out my bass with the E-string (which is a .110 gauge roundwound) tuned down to B, and although it's pretty floppy it's workable and the tone is huge ('87 Warwick, so v stiff neck, very resonant, and great (IMO) EMG electronics). I anticipate using those extreme low notes more as an effect than anything. So it's not a question of what the string will be like tuned to B, more one of whether the hipshot has enough travel to detune it that far. Thanks for the response though, your response suggests that the hipshot will do the job. Any more experts out there?

4. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I recently removed a Hipshot detuner for a customer who was very dissatisfied with its performance. I can't vouche for it personally because I haven't used it much myself.
  5. just tried it on my Warmoth P bass- equipped with cloverleaf-style Hipshot Ultralites with a detuner on the E.

it works- you can actually lower it further than B, the only trouble is that the keys overlap in the detuned position at notes lower than C, which isn't really a problem, as it's highly unlikely that the E and A string keys will be in a position to clash.
    but this also depends on how closely the machineheads are spaced on the headstock.
  6. Vibrato

Sep 27, 2002
    Sonora, CA
    As long as we are discussing hipshots......I have a question: to mount a hipshot tuner on a P-bass neck, do you have to drill new mounting holes or does it screw on in the original holes? The pics I see on ebay look like they are redrilled and I wouldnt have the heart to get within 10 feet of my axe with a power drill!!!

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread here. If so, I'll delete this post, but I've got a question about the Hipshot tuner, too.
    Has anyone tried using one with nylon or tapewound strings? If so, did it still work pretty well, or was it too floppy? This would be on a fretless.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    to answer Vibrato's question,you can get a PBass replacement Dtuner from Hipshot that will need no modifications other than taking the original one off and replacing it with the new one.
  9. I've done it before. Works...uhh...so and so. The nut on my fretless wouldn't allow tapewounds to slide very smoothly. So hitting the hipshot causes you to have to make sure and yank on the string to get it all the way down correctly.

Shouldn't be a prob on something w/ a metal nut.