Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot detuners - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I have a 5-string bass. I love the sound, but find that I rarely use the 5th string. I am thinking about building myself a Jazz Bass, and saw that Hipshot makes a set of tuners with a detuning E string tuner that can drop you down as far as low C. Has anybody here used these, and what do you think?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they can be picky

make sure it's oiled up (the lever part)

i have two - one on my jazz 4 and on my warwick 6

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    never new they could drop that far, all the ones ive seen just put it at D, crazy!

4. I've got one on a 4 string Fender. Works great.
    I use it for drop D, I couldn't imagine how floppy the string would be for a "C". Anyway, they are EZ to install and EZ to use, just keep it well lubed, and also fool around abit w/ the tuning getting it adjusted intially. Else you find the dropped note a tad bit sharp and when you retune your original note off.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have the one on my jazz tuned to a "B" - it works but you need a lighter touch and a higher tension "E" string.

as for tuning it to "D" - i love it - it's either "B" or "D" for me

:)

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I added one as an option on my Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4 when I bought it new last year. Once you get it adjusted properly, it works great. Mine goes down to "D" and the string's tension is lower, so it does require a lighter touch whe playing. It sounds very good. However, I haven't used it much in my current band. :meh: