1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot drp-D on a Dirt P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ripper75, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Will this work, what kind? Thanks!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Look at the tuning gear on the bass and match it up:
    HB-1
    [​IMG]

HB-2
    [​IMG]

HB-3
    [​IMG]

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Do you mean the actual gear itself? Sorry, I am not trying to be funny here, just trying to learn about this as well. It's always a pain to me to figure this out.
    I can see that the mounting plates are in 2 configs (the 1 and 3 are very similar).
    I rely on the Hipshot website, but there are a lot of gray areas in the lists.
    Thanks!

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Dirt. Haw, accurate.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 1st one is generally Direct Replacements for G&L's Music Mans, Some Gibson Basses, etc.

The 2nd and 3dr are direct replacements for Most Fenders. The 2nd is bacisally for 70's styled tuning gears and the 3rd one is generally 60's styled gears. I think for the Dirnt, you will probably need the 2nd one.

Here are all the D-Tuners that HipShot makes:
    http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6

6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    haha, I installed HB-2s [not the drop-d set, though] on my MIM fender - I got them for free, so I figured why not.

I believe the Dirnt P-bass has the HB-1 style.

7. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I can't access my yahoo mail here at work, but I emailed hipshot about a detuner for my Geddy. They told me HB-2 I believe, I'll post up when i get home tonight. I imagine the Mike Dirnt would probably be the same, I've also got the guy's email that sent me the info, he works at Hipshot.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pic of the back of a Dirnt headstock? We'd be able to tell you then.

From what I can tell it uses standard MIM Tuners... and therefore there's no drop in replacement. Old tuners holes will need to be plugged and new ones drilled. Not a big deal.

In this case I would recommend replacing the entire set of tuners with HB-2's and a BT-2 due to two totally different tuning ratios as well as the quality of hardware.

9. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    I was thinking about installing a hipshot detuner on my MIM deluxe Jazz. I'm assuming I'd have to drill different holes on that as well. Am I correct?

Is it a tough install? Ive never done it and would be pretty apprehensive about drilling anywhere on a bass.

10. richard simmons

richard simmons

Jul 20, 2006
    Theres a pretty good video on their site about installing, and the guy goes through the whole setup. Doesn't seem too hard to me.

11. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC

Cool. Do you have a link to the video? I can't seem to find it on their site.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yessir, you would also need new holes. Easy install. Take out the old tuners, leave the ferrules in for alignment , make sure they're all straight where they should be and tape in place with 3M blue masking tape.

Mark the holes with an awl or sharp nail, and drill with a small bit (1/8" or so) and tape off to avoid drilling too deep.

That's it, and screw in slowly. Avoid stripping the screws.

13. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    sorry it took at while, Jason over at hipshot said the BT-2 would fit the Geddy. I'll PM you his email, he was more than happy to help me out.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, hipshots rock. One goes on any 4 string I buy. Go for it

Rob

15. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Take off the german and put on a new Yorker!

Err. remove the stock Schaller and install a Hipshot HB-2 D-tuner

I should probably get one of those

16. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    I just put a hipshot (GB7 I think) on my Yamaha TRBII 4-string, it's a perfect match for the hardware, and I didn't have to do any new hole drilling, just the single screw mount, and it works like a dream. Definitely a great thing to have if you do any drop-D work :D For the Dirnt, if you give a pic of the hardware on the back of the headstock as someone previously mentioned, we can figure the best match for you :D

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I've got Hipshot Xtenders on ALL my four string basses except the fretlesses, even my #1 acoustic guitar has one. Yes, I love my drop D in an instant.

18. fender%20mike%20dirnt%20p%20bassDSCN0861.

id like to know the one to get also. hipshot does make a replacement for the MIM basses. but the one on the dirnt bass look like the classic tuners? its spoz to be a 1962 neck replica right?

19. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    HB-2