Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Dtuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Burgie, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Burgie

Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Question: If I get a D-tuner for my 4 string, how precise and solid are those things? Could I engage the switch 'on the fly' while I'm playing a song? Or is it a deal were I'd need to stop and tune after?
    (and how much do they tend to cost?)

Thanks!! :bassist:

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Question: If I get a D-tuner for my 4 string, how precise and solid are those things?

They work well and are pretty solid. It's a great design that has proven itself well over time. It's not completely precise because the E string you tune down to D is still intonated for an open E. That's just splitting hairs, though. It's barely noticable in the heat of battle.

Could I engage the switch 'on the fly' while I'm playing a song? Or is it a deal were I'd need to stop and tune after?

No problem at all. You can switch it down and back up several times in a tune if you want. The trick is to get the string fully settled and stetched.

how much do they tend to cost?

Used to be $50 or $60 for a Fender style bass. I'm not up on it these days.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got one on my Yamaha Attitude, in use it is pretty good. It is very easy to use on the fly (I think) and like 20db pad said the only real issue would be with intonation - however, as you are wanting to use the extended notes (more than likely or you wouldn't have one eh?) the intonation shouldn't be an issue!

I like them, saves you having to buy a 5 string to playt in dropped D if you don't want one!