Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hipshot extender key and nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marshman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Marshman

Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    I did a search for this but came up pretty empty. But I"ve noticed that my nut is about ready to be replaced. Once I unpack my tools and schtuff, I'll give it a go (I already had it shimmed once a few years back), but I wondered if the hipshot extender key wears out the nuts exceptionally quickly on the E string.

Is there a nut material that is reputed to be tougher/more resistant to such abuse? I'm not super keen on the idea of a metal, as I suspect it'll be much harder to cut/tool than a bone or modernimpregnatedsuperconductivecoolnessfactorhighium nut. Any thoughts out there? Should I just go with Tusq/graphite and replace it again in 20 years?

2. GeeZ if you got 20 years out of a graphtech or tusq nut you are doing very well. Those have a rep for wearing out on whammy guitars, especially the graphite stuff. People say they work well but don't last. I do use the graphtec saddles on my g****r - they eliminated my frequent string breakage so I am happy.

I think corian may be a bit tougher nut material but I have no personal experience just something I read somewhere.

Peace,
    S