hipshot extender key and nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marshman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    I did a search for this but came up pretty empty. But I"ve noticed that my nut is about ready to be replaced. Once I unpack my tools and schtuff, I'll give it a go (I already had it shimmed once a few years back), but I wondered if the hipshot extender key wears out the nuts exceptionally quickly on the E string.

Is there a nut material that is reputed to be tougher/more resistant to such abuse? I'm not super keen on the idea of a metal, as I suspect it'll be much harder to cut/tool than a bone or modernimpregnatedsuperconductivecoolnessfactorhighium nut. Any thoughts out there? Should I just go with Tusq/graphite and replace it again in 20 years?
  2. GeeZ if you got 20 years out of a graphtech or tusq nut you are doing very well. Those have a rep for wearing out on whammy guitars, especially the graphite stuff. People say they work well but don't last. I do use the graphtec saddles on my g****r - they eliminated my frequent string breakage so I am happy.

I think corian may be a bit tougher nut material but I have no personal experience just something I read somewhere.