1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot Freerange extender / drop D gadget

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, Aug 20, 2012.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Does anyone around here have any experience using a Hipshot freerange extender / dropped D gadget?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=373

I've tried to contact them a couple of times about a review model or demo unit to checkout with the idea of keeping them in stock and possibly get them some publicity, but they don't respond after several attempts.

2. I vaguely recall this item getting some attention here already- semi-consensus, IIRC, seemed to be that dropping the tension on one string will likely make the rest go a bit wonky. Still, I'm interested.

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Do a search for "hipshot" in the accessories forum. There are 2 threads.

4. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    Works well for me... tricky to adjust with new string but there is a video tutorial that explain how to tune it well on the hipshot site...

5. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Dec 7, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I tried it on a bass. Very well made product. It is adjustable, was able to tune it to low "C". Compared to the "E", the "C" was flabby. Probably a heavy gauge "E" would be best. It works well and is way less expensive than an extension. Tom

6. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Everything I've used from Hipshot has been very well made, but I have not tried this device. Their guitar extenders work well, and I will be using their Trilogy re-tuning bridge on an 8-string lap steel guitar design.

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    That seems likely to me, depending on the amount of string tension reduced. If using light strings in general the whole system might not react as strongly to the imbalance. Then again, if not using open strings often the player can probably compensate on the fly.

8. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have detuned to D on BG and a few times on upright. I wouldn't go lower. Their BG detuners a
    Are awesome like he rest of their products. I imagine the upright detuners are well made but I wouldn't go lower than D.

9. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Dec 7, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Actually got a low "B" on it today using a Permanent® string. It can be tuned over a very wide range.