1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot has a new bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=259

And the "special thing" about it is that it is a "high-mass" bridge. I mean, the A bridge and the B bridge with those big brass walls seem to have more than enough mass. And the worst of all is that the bridge isnt even "quick release".

They really seem to be aiming in those guys that think that the Badass is the best bridge ever only because its heavy.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Definitely not crazy about it...

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nope...me neither.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Me neither...

5. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I actually like it a lot. Maybe not the right look for a coffee table bass, but it would look great on my favorite - a black bass.

6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I think that the bridge looks good, nothing againt its visual. But the concept that i think its stupid.

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    don't like the fact that it's got four corner screws. i prefer ones that work as direct replacements to fenders bridge, though some companies do use four cornors, such as samick.

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Well, Neither the A or B bridges are direct fender replacement, so this is something i cant complain compared to their biggest "classics"

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    It's a new style, steel rather than aluminum (like the lower priced A's and B's), priced same as the aluminum B. Without adjustable string spacing (only the A's have that). Hmmm. Looks like they are looking for more out of the lower price point than the B's are giving them. I kind of like the old G&L vibe of the B bridge, but the new one's not bad looking.

10. fugly

11. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Hipshot has been making direct replacement A bridges for Fenders. Just got a few in the mail.

12. :meh: Definitely not a subscriber to the "high mass = better tone" theory, sorry!

13. how the heck do you adjust the intonation quickly? Looks to me like you have to release the tension in the string, loosen the holding allen bolt and then tap the saddle in the right direction, then tighten everything up again before tuning back up... looks like a right PIA procedure to carry out.

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'll pass.

15. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    hmm, well a brass bridge made a considerable difference in tone/bottom on my 6 as opposed to the aluminum one that was on it before and I do need a bridge for my oak DiMarzio J body so hey, why not try to shoot for 20lbs. as the final weight for that bass! :smug:

I think I'ma order one this summer.....

16. I agree. It makes more sense to fit Fenders as a drop-in replacement than any other brand.

I even think it looks pretty good, but the concept does appear to be flawed. The unnecessary width will interfere with bridge covers (for those who like them). The side flanges for the two pairs of mounting screws add unnecessary weight (compared to three or five holes through the backplate, below the saddles). If they're trying to compete with the Badasses, I'm not sure they do.

Just my $.02.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

17. I'm worried about the shallow break angle over the saddle when you're top loading....

my fav hipshot bridge is still the hipshot A....

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Would probably be too heavy for me

19. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Looks like a nice bridge. I probably wouldn't buy it just because of the weight, my back likes light basses, but other than that I like it.

20. My favorite bridge overall! That, and the similarly styled ABM are my favs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021