1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

HIPSHOT Headless Headpiece Centerpoint?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sabi On Bass, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Sabi On Bass

Sabi On Bass

May 8, 2017
    Tampa
    I'm kinda lost here. Im building a headless bass and currently working on the 2d model. I plan on using the hipshot headless system for the bass but have found that headpiece seems to not be symmetrical. Is this on purpose or did they just mess up the 2d sketches on the website?

Here's the link https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/5HH500SP.PDF

Look at the top left design and see where the center line is off. As a five string headpiece this should be directly in the center right?

If anyone knows why this is please help me out. This is my first headless build and i don't want to mess it up. Thanks!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The “centre” string of a 5-string does not run down the centre of the fretboard. It is offset to the treble side. In order for the strings to be evenly spaced, because the strings are progressively fatter the offset is necessary. The Hipshot drawing is correct.

3. Sabi On Bass

Sabi On Bass

May 8, 2017
    Tampa
    Ahh okay that makes sense now. Thanks so much.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Okay now, you changed your avatar and confused me.

And if you check you will see that the string slots are different sizes too. That alone forces the center to align off the center of the A string.

5. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Got tired of the old one and started using a painting of me done by my wife.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    She's good!

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Yessir, she sure is.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021