1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot on a Ric help : ASAP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Jan 11, 2008.

1. I just got my Hipshot ric replacement bridge in the mail

Getting the Ric bridge off was easy, but underneath I found something I really didnt anticipate

the ric brige is routed into the body. The hipshot, on the other hand, is completely flat

now, at the front two screw hopes (closest to the neck), the hipshot is completely flush with the bass, but at the back two, over the route, there is a gap.

What I'm asking is, do I just screw it on anyway? Is this gap going to hurt anything? I mean, it must be possible to put on, as so many players use it already, but I just don't want to do it without asking first, as I can invision the brige lifting and tearing out of the bass from the back. Answers are greatly appreciated, especially since I want to finish this project tonight

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i believe you are saying there is gap under the rear part of the bridge? i dont remember specifically, but i bolted mine on with the 4 screws they provide and have had no problems. i dont think there is anything special you need to do. congrats on the bridge - its a great upgrade and i think you will really dig it.

JR

3. I put the bridge on, and the screws worked fine. What I actually did was put the original Ric screws in the back of the bridge, then put the longer hipshot screws in the holes that are over the gap. Worked really well.

My problem now is that the front screws (the ones that are closer to the neck) don't sit flush to the bridge. Which means that the saddles on the E and G strings are actually resting on the screws. Is this normal?

4. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007

Use the Ric screws that mount nearly flush.
    (The heads stick out just a smidge...)
    When you raise the string-height via the hex-screws, the saddles won't be affected by the bridge screws.

The hipshot bridge is nice!
    WAY easier to set intonation...
    BTW, I had to cut the 2" screws down to 1.75"
    The 1.5" screws were too short... and the 2" screws were too long.

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    [email protected]

5. I've heard about the replacement bridge's saddles rattling if you pull on the respective strings hard, or pick hard. Any truth to this, anyone?

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    Because Rics have no neck angle, they lower the bridge into the body to get the strings to adjust low enough.

When I replaced my Ric bridges I filled in that hole with maple... but that's because the Badass and Schaller bridges didn't cover it up, but the Hipshot does.

There's nothing to worry about.

7. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    FWIW, I have the action pretty low on my 4003... so I'm not playing extremely hard. But I've not noticed the saddles rattling.

I love the Ric... but if I had to live with the stock bridge... I'd probably sell it. Far too much of a PITA to set intonation!

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    [email protected]

8. Yeah, it does happen, but I've only really noticed it when I'm playing unplugged and plucking much harder than I would plugged in just to get the volume I need

I did have an issue for about 5 minutes with the strings rattling audibly while plugged in. It only took me a minute to notice that I had the saddle slightly slanted, raised higher on one side than the other. Fixing that fixed the problem. It probably took me longer to find a hex wrench to use than it did to actually fix it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021