1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Rickenbacker Bridge - Saddle Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Replaced my original bridge on my 4003 with a Hipshot a few months back.

Despite the horror stories, mine has been great - until last night!

Without warning, the D string saddle moved flat right down, and the string was basically on the fretboard. I then had to adjust it upwards after nearly every song we played. Not a good night!

Looked at it just now, and some of the other saddles have moved about as well. It's gone from all okay, to the whole thing going haywire!

Online, some have used Loctite Blue, which will apparently let you adjust, without being affected by vibration.

Just wondered if anyone else had had similar bridge issues, or can offer any solution?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Your assessment and plan of corrective action are on target. Aside from swapping out some hardware components, the thread sealant is the solution.

Riis

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You could always contact HipShot if you continue to have a problem. I had an issue with a bridge and they sent me replacement parts no questions asked, for free.

4. Thanks guys.

I did actually contact Hipshot this morning just in case. Not sure if they'd send me much to the UK!

+1 on the thread sealant - that's what I like to hear....always best to check!

5. Loctite Lock and Seal seems to be more available?

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Blue Loctite or clear fingernail polish....either will be fine.

Riis

7. Just checking - sure it's fine - but how is the Loctite under constant gigging temperatures? We play lots of hot and sweaty pubs.....

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You should be fine. The Loctite will gum things up for a good long while. Now, if you do some gigs on the surface of the sun, that's a different story.

Riis

9. Amazon here sell Loctite 243 - looks like the kind of thing.

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Loctite is used in engine blocks, so yes it can hold up to any outdoor gig.

Whatever you do, do not get the red Loctite, because it is much to strong, especially for a screw as small as a saddle height adjustment screw.

12. Cool, thanks for that. Ordered some blue....could only find 1 place over here in the UK that had any!

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Here's a tip about using thread lockers - this is what I do and it's very effective...

Remove the saddle screw and apply a tiny drop of Loctite BLUE to the threads. Reinstall the saddle screw and - this is the trick - continue to turn the screw back and forth as the Loctite dries. Keep the screw moving. Eventually the Loctite will dry and the screw will squeak as you turn it. There will be a fair bit of resistance as you turn, but the key is the squeaking. After this the screw won't move on its own, but you can adjust it whenever you feel so inclined.

14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    About how long does that take because...like, hey...I've got things to do.

Great tip and thanks for sharing!

Riis

15. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I've never had it take longer that a few days.

Actually a minute or two.

16. Thanks for the TL tip - I'll be using that method!