Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Rickenbacker replacement bridge.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I saw the prototype in the late summer/early fall, but never saw it released. It was scheduled to be out in november. Is there any word on it? Are there any other decent replacement bridges for Rics?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I haven't seen the bridge you're referring to, but in the early to mid 80's Stars Guitars marketed one. I doubt they sold many or that many were produced. A local repairman had one stashed in a drawer in his shop. It looked like a nice quality bridge. It was the exact shape of the stock bridge/tailpiece, but the saddles were adjustable in the same fashion as a Fender-style bridge.

I had an original Badass installed in my 4001 in about 1980 or '81. This required some routing for the bridge to fit properly. (It's the same mod Geddy Lee was having done to his Rick's at that time.) Knowing better now, I wouldn't do it again, but IMO it was/is an improvement to the stock bridge.

If you can post a picture of this prototype, please do. I have a friend who wants to replace the bridge in his 4003.

-Thanks, Art.

3. Last i heard it fell behind on schedule. But should be released soon.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    This is sort of unrelated, but it's a Rickenbacker replacement bridge question. Does anyone know if a Rick has a small sort of pocket routed under the bridge, and does a normal Rick bridge have a section that fits down into this pocket? I used to have a Rick, but never had the bridge off. I picked up a stripped Rick clone body & neck super cheap, I'd like to fit it with Rick type parts but I don't know if the bridge would fit. I've come across some cheap used bridges, but been hesitant to buy one until I know if it will fit.