Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hipshot/schaller tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 30, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The Hipshot tuners that I want (model HB2) are 27:1 ratio and the Schaller (model BMFL) are 20:1

What does the ratio mean exactly? Is one better or worse than the other?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    27:1 means you need to turn the key 27 times for each revolution of the tuning post; 20:1 is 20 times. The Hipshots will be more precise.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Also to be figured in is the diameter of the post. A small post pulls the string a shorter distance with each rotation, so it can have a lower gear reduction, and achieve the same amount of string pull with each turn of the key. A large post requires a higher ratio, so that you don't strech the string from here to cleveland with each turn of the key.

4. Hipshot tuners are exquisite. I have them on my bass. Schallers are just fine too. Seriously, I'd go for the ones which will look the best.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Andy said, except you might also want to consider weight as a factor. Hipshot Ultralights are dinky little things, but work great.