1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hipshot string retainer users??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eddododo, Mar 29, 2013.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    my new build BADLY needs string retainers, and I believe it needs it for all 4 strings...

could someone toss me the dimensions of the hipshot string retainer?

why use 4 you ask? well the headstock is righty-reverse, and the G-string is a pretty large-gauged, and i'd rather not file the nut..

Thanks in advance!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why not, if that's the correct fix? it would be a lot less invasive than drilling two new holes in the headstock for a different string tree!

besides, if you're converting an existing lefty neck to righty, then the nut has to be filed anyway.

any string on the post closest to the nut shouldn't need a retainer; it has plenty of down-angle if you wrap it right, i.e., all the way down the post to the bottom.

3. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Well its a made-as-righty-reverse from warmoth, i.e. the nut is set up right.. The 'big' issue with filing is that I JUST finished the bass, and I couldnt swear im sticking with these strangely-gauged strings. In fact I own some fender 9120s (currently wearing 7120) that I reallly wish I could find ._.

I did rewrap it with better results, though the large gauge still causes some slip-out. if nothing else I kind of like the four string retainer as a neat-and-even sure-thing utility, but it would probably make changing that string a pain in the ass..

you're definitely right that it's probably a little much, especially compared to just finding a better string...

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    filing the nut a little wide to fit the wider string wouldn't be a big deal, you could still go back to regular gauges.

on the contrary, not filing the nut so that the string is left sitting on top of the slot instead of comfortably in it is a big deal, that's a good way to break the corner of the nut off!

5. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    ! Im filing today then, because THATT sounds terrible