1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot string tree installation on J-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderhordes, Jul 7, 2016.

1. fenderhordes

fenderhordes

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm replacing the stock string tree on my Jazz Bass with the Hipshot 3-string retainer. Now that I bought it, how do I install it?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There's literally two screws.

Spidey2112, LoveThatBass and 96tbird like this.
  3. Put it in about the same position as the one being replaced and insure it encompasses the G, D, and A strings equally. Then use a pointed object such as an icepick etc to start a hole and put the screws in place.
    That is it

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It can't go where the original string tree went because that is beside the A tuner, to far back to capture the A string. It has to be put midway between the the E and A tuners, making the original string tree hole visible. IMO that Hipshot tree is a really poor design. Consider modifying it by drilling holes through the tree where the strings can be fed into the tree and then cutting the screw tabs off.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  5. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Highly suggest you predrill the holes to the correct size and depth.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    And lube the screws with bar soap.

RSBBass and 96tbird like this.
  7. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Yes, definitely that too.

8. Thanks for the information. I stand corrected :)

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    For location I just eyeball it. I prefer the triples even on a 4 because the A string can buzz sometimes if the nut isn't cut perfectly.

In my usual location the strings will hold it in place while drilling the first hole.

IMG_0568.JPG

fenderhordes likes this.
  10. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I use this style, as they don't restrict the movement of the string (as much) while tuning.
    IMO, of course.

RST1B_t.jpg
    Roller T String Retainer for Bass, Black
    rate_0.png
    RST1B
    Roller T String Retainer for Bass, Black

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I love this guy's sense of humor... serious.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020