Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hipshot Style A bridge on Kingston?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jun 14, 2002.

1. At some point I'd like to put an aluminum (not brass) Hipshot Style A bridge on the MTD Kingston I will be buying from Adrian at the end of the month (man, this whole "disposable income" thing is pretty sweet), since I prefer an ABM-style bridge. Will it fit the holes for the existing K5 bridge?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    How many holes does the K5 have in the bridge? I have a Beast 5 and my stock bridge, the Hipshot bent plate, has 5 holes for the screws in it. Like the image below.
    [​IMG]

The type A has three holes like the one below and will probably require new holes to be drilled.
    [​IMG]

If the holes on your bridge are similar to the bent plate, the type B might work better but it doesn't have the adjustable string spacing. It looks like the hole spacing might be slightly different than the bent plate though :(
    [​IMG]

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The k5 bridge has the holes in the rear (like all the Hipshot bridges) but also two screws in the front two edges, though that should be covered up by the new bridge.

and I believe it should work fine. But I haven't take exact measurements. So Peter, what color are you going for on the K5?

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's a K5 that looks like it has 4 hole in the rear and one on each corner in the front. Is that what you have Brendan? If so, the new bridge will probably cover the existing holes but I'm almost positive that new holes will have to be drilled.
    [​IMG]

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hot damn, tha's my baby!...well, I have a flat black picgaurd on mine and Schaller strap locks, but it's the same red/rosewood combo. But yeah, it would almost definetly need new holes drilled. Although, I myself am thinking about putting a Hipshot A or B on it. I'd like a bridge with an open channel on it, so I can use strings heavier than .130 (which is the largest the closed hole standard bridge allows).

And then maybe an active/passive pre-amp...oh, the mods possible...

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've still got the stock Hipshot bent plate on my Beast 5. I got a Grendel preamp from Adrian and added it to the mix. I was thinking about changing the bridge but the luthier who did the work thought that the bent plate was good enough after he set it up & played it for a few days. The thought of putting new holes in my baby was killing me anyway! :D I've got a red pearl with a wenge board. Oh, I got the Beast from Adrian also! It sounds great now but I do miss that passive tone that it had.

7. I think I'm gonna go for black or white, although if I can get a tobaccoburst one for under $500 (less case) I'm on it.

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with drilling new holes. I plan to eventually mod the bejeezus out of the bass--an NTBT will go in at some point, and a push-pull volume pot for series/parallel. I will probably also have Schaller straplocks put on, and if I can I'd like to get a custom pickguard for it (red tortoiseshell on black is sexy, IMO). This is mainly going to be a jazz instrument, but I plan to use it fairly extensively for rock.

8. Oh, FWIW, Hipshot is headquartered in Interlaken, which is a couple miles up the road from Ithaca. I could always just stop by their shop, slap the bridge on to see if it would fit, and order from a dealer if it did (they prefer it, as they charge full list for direct orders).

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My K5 also has the 4-in back, 2-in front screwhole configuration. I e-mailed Dave at Hipshot Products and they have a chrome model just like the Kingston original equipment that I just ordered. I'm also going to get some chrome knobs, chrome tuners, and a red tortoise shell pickguard. I'll post pics as soon as I can.