1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hipshot Supertone Bridge on Curved-Top Bass; Rumblekat, Casady, Etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Prompted by a trade I posted, I've received inquiries regarding successful installation of the Hipshot Supertone replacement bridge (retrofit for the Gibson/Epiphone 3-point bridge) on a carved-top bass such as the Rumblekat, and I guess by extension the Epiphone Jack Casady. I share here for your info.

Hipshot will send you some felt padding to take up the space if you contact them.
    My luthier considered using Hipshot's fix, then instead used 1/16" gasket cork (comes in a roll, available at many hardware stores).
    On the Rumblekat, which has a pretty shallow carve, all that was needed was 2 tiny crescents of cork - described to me as looking like toenail clippings - installed under the very outer bottom edges of the bridge. This should be clear in the picture, but what may not be evident is that all that's required (more importantly, all that will do the trick successfully) is a slender semi-circle, not a full circle.

Hope this helps those who seek better intonation on non-flat basses than your basic EB bass bridge will allow.

bassfront_zpsfbab3b81. epibridgebottom_zps2eb359e9.